Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

test load

All of your questions have been answered! You have 7 posts but have already made three threads! use the search button, if you legitimately can't find any info then ask!

Test loads go in series with the driver so...

+....test load....-
|....................|
|....................|
+.....Driver ..... -
|....................|
|....................|
+ power source -

BTW ... is empty space!

you then take your readings off the test load with a DMM if you are making it your self, you put ur DMM to DC mv setting (200-2000mv) and use that in parrallel with a 1ohm resistor. 1mv ~= 1ma. if its an already built one, settings or ways to measure may vary!

Last edited:
All of your questions have been answered! You have 7 posts but have already made three threads! use the search button, if you legitimately can't find any info then ask!

Test loads go in series with the driver so...

+....test load....-
|....................|
|....................|
+.....Driver ..... -
|....................|
|....................|
+ power source -

BTW ... is empty space!

i have tried searching and there are some similar but dont have the answer im looking for sorry... and i have another question... is there like a switch on the test loader or does it automatically kno if its blu or red??? and what is a DMM???

Last edited:
If you build it your self, you will have differnet number of diodes attached (electrical diodes not laser diodes)... these determine the drop off voltage. for example a PHR blu-ray will have 6 x 1N400x diodes attached where as a red will only have 4 x 1N400x attached. Other test dummies like the rkcstr test dummys have a switch for use of a blu-ray diode or a red.. the more accurately the drop off voltage matches the forward voltage of a real diode, the better accuracey of expected current going through the real laser diode!

hope that made sense... -Adrian

If you build it your self, you will have differnet number of diodes attached (electrical diodes not laser diodes)... these determine the drop off voltage. for example a PHR blu-ray will have 6 x 1N400x diodes attached where as a red will only have 4 x 1N400x attached. Other test dummies like the rkcstr test dummys have a switch for use of a blu-ray diode or a red.. the more accurately the drop off voltage matches the forward voltage of a real diode, the better accuracey of expected current going through the real laser diode!

hope that made sense... -Adrian

it kindof does... how do i read the dummy tho??

if u made it your self you use a DMM in parallel with the 1ohm resistor and use the DCv setting...

if you buy it, there are varying ways you can measure it... most have a probe hole on the PCB where you stick the probe of the DMM into the PCB (circuit board) of the test dummy and you can read the current that way.. some work with an ammeter completing the circuit... and some work by putting a voltmeter in parallel with a resistor.. just depends on what you got!

HIMNL9

23636d1255022893-1st-diy-laser-project-8x-bdr-203-need-ideas-tlm.jpg

:D

well for me why not make 2 dummy loads one for your blue ray and one for your red. Since you asked about determining red and br dummyload. So to make it simple. create 2 separate dummy load. :)

HIMNL9

Just make an universal variable one, like mine :p

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

..... i know, i know, i'm crazy :eg: :crackup: .....

No, there's a reason for this, i already lost 4 or 5 of the ones made "on-the-fly" soldering components in air, so some times ago i decided to build a more decent one, and see how much time i need for lost also it, following the theory that, more time you needed for build it, more you are unconsciously driven to take care of it ..... well, this theory must have at least something right in it, cause are more than 6 months that i made this one, and still have not lost it ..... (yet :p)

Attachments

• dummy1.jpg
    dummy1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,111
  • dummy2.jpg
    dummy2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 4,657
  • dummy3.jpg
    dummy3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4,339
LOL very nice!! I don't understand how it works but very nice!!

Just make an universal variable one, like mine :p

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

..... i know, i know, i'm crazy :eg: :crackup: .....

No, there's a reason for this, i already lost 4 or 5 of the ones made "on-the-fly" soldering components in air, so some times ago i decided to build a more decent one, and see how much time i need for lost also it, following the theory that, more time you needed for build it, more you are unconsciously driven to take care of it ..... well, this theory must have at least something right in it, cause are more than 6 months that i made this one, and still have not lost it ..... (yet :p)

LOLLLLL!!! we almost have the same type of Dummy load, mine is also universal. almost the same Idea as that.. hahahha.. nice one!

HIMNL9

@ bobhaha: I just select how much diodes i have in serie in the circuit with the jumper, from 2 to 10 ..... here is the schematic

attachment.php

The other resistor is just for be sure that the capacitor at the end of the driver is discharged, when you take it away and attach the real LD ..... it don't influence too much the reading, approximatively 3 mA at max ...... and the clips are for connect the DMM more easy, or the scope.

I also thought to add a pair of GE diodes for the 0,4V step with another jumper, but then done nothing, cause it's almost impossible to find GE diodes that hold an ampere ..... at human prices, at least :p

Attachments

• dlsch.jpg
    dlsch.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6,606
Hey HIMNL9...
nice simple.. selectable load.. Dummy Load...:gj:

BTW... it is funny that we need to explain this same question
over and over again to every new member that is too lazy
to spend some time doing a little research on the Forum on
there own... They all seem to want to get spoon feed..
This must have been answered over 200 times since I've
been here...:eek:

Jerry

Last edited:
It seems that this new member opens a thread to ask a question..
and when he gets an answer... opens another thread to ask a
question about the answer....

@dtucker21... we can see all the Threads that you open...:thinking:

You should really do some research on the Forum for yourself...
We've been there and done that...........
Trying the [Search] button only once will not help...

Jerry