Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Taking my laser collection on a flight.

I am visiting some friends next month and was wondering if I would run into any problems bringing some of my lasers and batteries packed in my carry-on bag on the flight. The flight is in the USA.

I would remove the batteries and pack the lasers in your checked baggage. The batteries I would pack separate from the lasers. That way no one can fire one up to see what it is. You can say they are LED flashlights if asked unless you have some labbies which wouldn't be an issue because they need to be powered from a wall outlet.

Last edited:
I would remove the batteries and pack the lasers in your checked baggage. The batteries I would pack separate from the lasers. That way no one can fire one up to see what it is. You can say they are LED flashlights if asked unless you have some labbies which wouldn't be an isue because they need to be powered from a wall outlet.
Cool, thanks

Paul nailed it.. but if you are flying 'light' (no checked bags) you could have a prob when your 'carry' is X ray- ed. I have heard about collectors shipping the lasers to where they are headed.

well-- I see you failed to add your location into your profile!!!

We need that.. we also need to know WHERE you are flying..

WE tend to feel 'dissed' when that is done.. please consider adding it.
It does not take as much time as we have just given you...I hope you DID make an 'Intro' thread in our welcome/newcomers section. That too is kinda expected.. and just good manners.
cheerz from Brazoria, Texas

Paul nailed it.. but if you are flying 'light' (no checked bags) you could have a prob when your 'carry' is X ray- ed. I have heard about collectors shipping the lasers to where they are headed.

well-- I see you failed to add your location into your profile!!!

We need that.. we also need to know WHERE you are flying..

WE tend to feel 'dissed' when that is done.. please consider adding it.
It does not take as much time as we have just given you...I hope you DID make an 'Intro' thread in our welcome/newcomers section. That too is kinda expected.. and just good manners.
cheerz from Brazoria, Texas
Sorry thought stating the flight was in the USA is enough. CA to TX and on return TX to CA. Most stuff I found online says that I should be fine and like paul1598419 said, if asked say its a LED flashlight. And I'll be carrying the lasers separate from the batteries. The lasers are a 1w 520nm fom DTR's Shop, a 5w 445nm sanwu striker, and 1W 635nm sanwu challenger 2.

oops I missed that detail in your OP.
my bad... still need Ca. in your profile AND a nice intro would be appreciated.. (Our location used to appear under our names every time we posted.. new forum NO - & that is a PITA.) we must go to the OP's profile and if nothing is there we get nothing in return.. & that gets old very fast.
Coming to Houston?

have a safe flight and blessed Xmas--Len

Well I feel comfortable taking my lasers now, other posts have people saying they have taken their lasers on without incident. Though I am not going to push my luck and try to bring my 1kg tungsten cube on with me lol.

I was 'chefing' on a drill ship 220miles off Cape May NJ. flying from Houston (for 28/ 12 hour days) I had just got a new rather large Chef's knife in my carry on ( if in my checked bag and was 'lost' even temp I would be pissed) happens to checked bags more than you think

. Bag checker saw the knife and I had to 'sign it over' to the pilots who were supposed to give it back once in Philly.. that did not happen-- it was delivered in a few days to Cape May Heliport and was put on the next chopper going to the ship. That was a long time ago..many things are 'stricter' now. The following year when I was flying home (for 28 days OFF!)from NO-LO to Houston but my bags when to Las Vegas.. were delivered by taxi a few days later.

I don't think you could get away with packing a large knife on your carry on luggage these days. You should be fine with your lasers in your checked luggage with the batteries in another bag. Flying has gotten really screwy since 9/11. You can't even bring shampoo with you in your carry on bags. I never figured out why I was always selected for a random pat down and greater scrutiny of my carry on luggage, but it always happened to me. Maybe it was my long hair. You would think after many years of having long hair it would be acceptable, but it still gets me pulled aside.

So please let us know you got there/here OK . (I am in Houston)

... or at least check back when you get back to Cali.

I arranged for this nice weather for you... lol..jk
wishing you and yours a great 2019.

hak