Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

taking apart an old WL Fusion?

Hello,

I was digging through my box of lasers and I found an old Wicked Lasers Fusion that I bought off this forum years ago. Sadly when I put fresh batteries in it it doesn't appear to work anymore. I suspect the battery contact inside the laser are corroded but I can't reach anything down far enough to try cleaning the contact. Is it possible to take apart a WL Fusion host or is it a "black box" and taking it apart is a destructive process?

Any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

You could try a bright flashlight and some contact cleaner on cotton swabs. That is IF this is truly a corrosion problem.

Snecho

You might have to contact Hwang. He should now.

If you are referring to the old WL pen-style Executive Series that had a "Fusion" model (https://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Executive_Series-55-3.html) (same host as the WL Core), then yes, taking it apart is a destructive process, as the 532nm module is press-fitted into the host from the front of the laser. If you don't mind ruining the finish on the front end of the laser, you can simply take a pair of pliers/vice and pull the entire laser module out from the front (take the button off first before you do this, it just pops off)

Are you sure it's an electrical connection issue and not that the crystals are misaligned? Just a heads-up to be wary of 808nm/1064nm output

The pushbutton can also fail. Verify the current draw is zero before digging into it. If it's drawing current (I believe it's supposed to be somewhere around 400-600mA), then she's proper hoopa jooped and there's really nothing you can do.

I had a Duracell spew its guts in the 808nm CNI pen I have which is the same style as the "fusion". I tried soaking in vinnegar, abrading the spring, and contact cleaner, but it's too far up the rear end to get good access. :sneaky:

I ended up dremeling a square hole in the driver area to resolder and scrape away the crust from the spring. She's ugly but she lives again.

CNI resize.jpg

Incidentally, I'm never using Duracell again, since they reliably destroy anything I leave them in.