Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tactical flashlight question

TN Jed

I bought a 3 pack of tactical flashlights from amazon at a decent price. Construction, etc is fine. Light quality not so much so my question is....
What determines the brightness of these type flashlights? Is it the led, the circuitry or a combination of them?
It’s supposed to be a 1000 lumin light with zoom but I have a quantum brand 588 lumin flashlight I got from harbor freight that out shines these lights. Also on the 1000 lumin light it has a square bulb and when zoomed it’s a square light with lines (almost looks like a circuit board).
I’d like to just replace the bulb and make these better if that’s possible or should I just write them off and mark it down as a “too bad, so sad” situation?

Thanks in advance!

Philipnzw

I think i know which model those lights are even without you showing pictures, they are very common in online shopping shops. The zoom behavior is normal, you would project the LED into focus when you zoom out. As for the brightness, the sellers usually Lie so i'm guessing its at best around 250 Lumens or lesser.

To fix it up, i think that you need to purchase higher Lumen LEDs and also higher current drivers. Maybe a T6 and a 2.5A-3A driver?
Anyways, there is always a risk when modifying. In my opinion, there just isn't enough cooling ability in them to tame a 10W T6 LED. Might end up frying some parts.
Perhaps you can try other lower power LED and Driver combinations?

Good luck in your quest to make those flashlights brighter.

Encap

If you are talking about the offers on ebay for 3 pcs of tactical flashlight for $8.50 including shipping like here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-Ultrafire-Tactical-18650-Flashlight-T6-High-Powered-5Modes-Zoomable-Aluminum/193020553755?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=40719&meid=f2b27c3f85054c74ad9f82b459340b48&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=pp&sd=202731853633&itm=193020553755&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
, those are throw away flashlights---it would be cheaper just to buy a better brighter flashlight.

Maybe ask same on a flashlight forum perhaps someone has spent the time and money to make one brighter.

Last edited:

Junjack11

Yeah if you got those lights for cheap I would just toss them out or use as cheap around the house flashlights. I have dozens of flashlights and Ive always been weary of high lumen claims for cheap. If you want a quality bright light you’re going to be spending atleast $20+. Take some time and do research/read reviews before purchasing it can separate the good from the liars.

TN Jed

Thanks folks ;)
It’s not that exact brand flashlight in that link but more than likely the exact same lights just rebranded lol
Only difference is they claim 6000 lumin and mine only claimed 1000 lumin.
The one I got at harbor freight only claims 588 lumin but is much brighter, only downside to it is that it takes 4x AAA batteries and as far as I know you can’t get a adapter to use the AA style rechargeable battery (18650) I think is what I mean.
I may experiment on replacing the bulb in one if they are cheap enough and it’s a fairly simple job. I assume the drivers you refer to is just a chip or circuit board that I’d have to swap out.
Thanks again everyone, you folks have a great forum and tons of awesome pics and toys.
Wish I had the money to get a nice laser, my little < 5 mw 532 nm is fun to play with, I can only imagine the fun to be had with some of the stuff I’ve seen here.

TN Jed

Where would you guys recommend the cheapest/best/reliable place to buy a replacement led for a test fix. I really just need 1 to test if it’s gonna make a difference and if it does I’d need 5 more. (When I complained to the seller of the flashlight they sent me another 3 pack) so I basically have 6 not so usable flashlights lol

Junjack11

By the time you buy and wait for an replacement LED/Driver and spend the time replacing them it would’ve been cheaper, less time consuming, and saved possibl aggravation just to purchase a better light from a reputable vendor. Or maybe you just want the experience of swapping that stuff out in which case I would go to Www.budgetlightforum.com. Go to that site and take a look around they have lots of threads on different lights/leds/drivers and maybe you’ll find information on a light that’ll suit your needs around the budget you want to spend. Good luck friend.

If you buy LED's from china on Ebay you won't get what you expect. The Chinese LED's are crap. They will not work at there rated output. I have bought 3 Watt LED's from Ebay and they are only reliable to about 1 Watt.

If you want a reliable higher power LED you will need to pay more for 1 LED than those 3 torches cost you. You will also need new drivers. There is no such thing as cheap and good.

A good reliable 1000 Lumen torch will cost you about 10 times what you paid and that's only for 1 torch.

The only real stated Lumen output on Ebay are from brand name torches. Fenix, Nitecore etc..

I am not sure your plan will work and a better plan might be to rebuild them as lasers..

I am not wanting to jack your thread but I hope someone reading will chime in on this one.

most features I have ever found...
  • Shockproof
  • Main Light: 200 Lumen Flashlight (3W LED) (High, Low & Strobe)
  • Side White 2835x10 (150 Lumens) (High, Low)
  • Side Red 2835x10 620x625 wavelength (Fast Strobe, Slow Strobe)
  • Emergency Hammer / Glass Breaker
  • Belt / Rope Cutter
  • Magnet for mounting
  • Dual Charging Modes: 5W 50ma Solar Panel & 5V Micro USB (Power In)
  • Compass
  • 5V/1A USB Power Bank (Power Out)
  • 2000mAH 18650 Internal Battery
I paid ~140$ for 5 of them--that SMRP of $100 each is bull-no seller asks that much and AFAIK I could have gotten them cheaper--I am not into LED lights much unless they can be made into lasers..but sounds to me to not be very 'doable' or worth the $ and work--BUT good luck...solar-3W-emergency-flashlight-with-multi-function-safety-hammer-belt-cutter-power-bank-magnet-...jpg

Just now found another 'feature' --there is a GITD ring inside that glows after being 'charged up' by the LED.. not super bright but still a nice feature. I will time it-- could be very helpful if you dropped it in the woods at night etc