Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Synesthesia EDC Build

Well…..Here we go again….I am very close to finishing my Chartreuse Coruscation Build….waiting on a new drive…until then….I have been inspired by the Solarfire L2E build “ The Anglehead ”… done by BowtieGuy…a small EDC with a 90 Degree angle head.

I will name my build….” The Synesthesia EDC “….Hear and taste the Coherent Light !!!

OK….SO….the build will use the following components;

Solarforce L2E Host ( https://www.customlites.com/product.sc?productId=149 )

NEG7475 Diode ( Christmas Green ) DTR

Wossee new Boost Skinny 2.5 ( SMALL, adjustable, 10mm x 16mm !!!!! Powered by one (1) 18650, Prototype from Wossee )

Custome CU Heat sink ( CDB Machined, but NOT yet done )

CU 12 x 30 LD Module ( DTR )

DTR G8 Collimation Lens ( Miracle Lens from DTR )

One (1) 18650 LiPo ( Brand Name )

Latching Push on / Push off https://www.ebay.com/itm/Switch-wit...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

The goal here is to create the most ergonomic, luminous, tightest beam, smallest, single cell EDC possible. Well….Much to my joy….two recent developments have just come about; The new G8 Colli lens….and the new Wossee 2.5A Boost driver. This driver is currently a prototype. I have one shipping to me.

Without these new parts….this build would NOT have been possible !!!! ( THANX BTG, DTR and Wossee !!!)… Without the inspired build of Bowtieguy……the perfect ergonomic angle design would have gone undiscovered/unused for this build !!!

See attached drawing and pic of host. I want to add a push on / push off switch to the back of the head area. I do NOT have much depth room !!! Such a switch placement will deliver a natural / ergonomic control. I have received the switch….but have some concern regarding the current rating. I have an alternate switch selected. This switch pictured is rated ….1A @ 30 VAC….and my other possibility is a PB-13 from Al Electronics rated 6A @ 125VAC. ANY suggestions regarding this issue will be most welcome !!!!! The PB-13 will require a small modification to fit in the host pocket diameter !!

So…..I have trialed the NDG7475 with the G8…..Great results !!! NO ADDITIONAL CORRECTIVE OPTICS NEEDED !!!

And….You all know that I am demanding on my Farfield beam geometry !!! The “ Light must be Tight “ !!!!!

SO….see the attached pics….enjoy the ride…..This time….an EDC will result….SOMETHING…I will USE….and perhaps….a build of more value to our members….minimal modification to stock parts…..and….I or some other member would duplicate the CU Heat sink….( mmm….Lifetime 17 likely would do this !! )

CDBEAM

Attachments

• Synesthesia EDC Parts 1.jpg
    Synesthesia EDC Parts 1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Solarfire L2E Detail 3 Vlad 2.5A Driver S_F View.JPG
    Solarfire L2E Detail 3 Vlad 2.5A Driver S_F View.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Boost 2.5A Slinny.png
    Boost 2.5A Slinny.png
    225 KB · Views: 18

Oh,I can't see xwosse have new 2.5A boost driver,
Maybe Vladimir don't sell thêm on ebay or that is driver he sent you to test?

Nice, I really like the NDG7475 and nubm03 but far field I want to tighten up that long bar, I have used a 3XBE which works but a corrected beam via c-lens pair would make a nice point and use no fooling around EDC so I was thinking of some options and wanted to share my concepts with you, not for the Synesthesia EDC but possibly a future build.

Also I have been using 2 x 18350 to power the 1w 520/525 and they work just fine, I do like the boost driver using a single 18650 if Wossee is producing them but I suspect 2 x 18350 will be just as efficient and essentially the same size, I look forward to using his new boost with a single 18350 or 18500 though in other lower mw units. :)

p.s. I look forward to seeing the Synesthesia EDC ............ come too light. :D

concept520BandC20mm.jpgconcept520D.jpg

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I see that the "Synesthesia EDC" is coming together, she's looking real good, we'll be staying tuned for further updates!
The addition of a rear switch is going to make this an even better choice for an ideal EDC option.

Trihn… Yes...The Boost 2.5A Skinny driver is a prototype from Wossee !!! SIZE is my issue here. I COULD bore out the Solarfire L2E....say to 27mm ( 1-1/16 " end mill )....But....I would rather NOT !!!...And...If another member wanted to duplicate....such a bore out is...well...not possible without an End Mill....SO....the new drive from Wossee should be just perfect !!!

RC... Well...I tell you....the Farfield geometry, as collimated by the G8 lens....is completely acceptable !!! I suppose....the die on the NDG7475 is sufficiently small....and when coupled with the G8...we get a tight Farfield geometry !!! Yes....we could gain / improve the Farfield divergence by adding C-Lenses....and a Beam Expander....BUT...then...the "EDC Class" is lost....and we end up back into ....well....the " Nut Cracker Class ". As usual....there are tradeoffs....but....I think....THIS time, we got lucky....and while I suffer from OCD in regards to beam divergence....I can be happy with this combo !!!!

BTG....THANX....for without your leadership....the "Synesthesia EDC" would not come be born !!! I am most ....er....ah....energized.....that any EDC holds more value...and such a relatively simple build will inspire others to try to duplicate !!! And yes....a rear switch....to me....is a really good addition !! Thanx for all your support !! Thank God....a build that will not take a year to complete, a build I will use ...and NOT cost a big pile of $$$$ HAHAHAHA CDBEAM

Last edited:
Looking good, Bob. I didn't know about these new drivers. Will have to give them a try when they become available to all of us.

---edited---
Yes no doubt, compact, ergonomic and reasonably straight forward is a winner 3 times over, I think we could even go a step further in future builds and make something super ergonomic without making a pistol shape but maybe a palm shape that also fits a pocket nicely, a new class that's not strictly traditional flashlight shaped sounds like good fun.

RC....Hmmm ???? Palm shaped...yes....BUT....the beam must exit out....SOOoooooo...gotta be a pistol grip....with the goodies onda top !!!

See

Hmmm....we attach the standard torch geometry/cylinder....to the top of the pistol grip ??? SO...Oh well.....it looks lika weapon....then again....well....so does a Hair Dryer !!! ……." Duck Rogers " move over ( hahahahaha )….I got news for ya all.....a Pencil....can be a weapon !!!

The dArpa boys are likely laughing....yet again !!! Wattever !!!

Paul....Yea.....I drive Vlad....er....ah....crazy....He puts up with me !!!....and for now...this is a prototype...…but....I bet it will become an offering soon !!!

ANY thoughts on my switch selection ?????????????????? 1) 1A @ 30VDC or 2) 6A @ 125VAC.......How many Coulomb/Second can we stand !!!

CDBEAM

Attachments

• Skel.Grip.png
    Skel.Grip.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
---edited---
Yes no doubt, compact, ergonomic and reasonably straight forward is a winner 3 times over, I think we could even go a step further in future builds and make something super ergonomic without making a pistol shape but maybe a palm shape that also fits a pocket nicely, a new class that's not strictly traditional flashlight shaped sounds like good fun.

I've been contemplating building something in the style of the pics below; I'm not sure exactly how ergonomic they'll be, but they definitely have a unique styling to them.

Speaking of those pistol grip style handles, didn't someone build a short Maglite laser with one of those attached to it a few years ago?

Sorry for the hijack, CD.

PSX_20190331_172021.jpg

PSX_20190331_171931.jpg

I know the one your thinking about, it's a Maglite with a clamp on grip switch set forward like a calico

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I think THIS is the thread by member "danefex" where I recall seeing the pistol grip.

PG3O5TT.jpg

Yea, I remember seeing that before, the trigger actuates the flashlight button.

I think we want a compact unit, something wallet sized or less, maybe a hand made aluminum body probably with the battery in the grip......could use a RC battery pack to fit a small palm size grip and use a charging jack, the laser module being a 20mm copper module with driver shelf, dual switches for added safety.

I'm jobhunting at the moment but if I've got some time I'll try and mock something like this up in 3D, and then print it. Won't be aluminium, but a decent space for a heatsink in the top it should do fine. Perhaps two versions, one with just space for a 20mm module, and the second with more significant cooling for something more powerful.

Immo...Thanx...Well.... I have not seen a compact pistol grip format used. If ya look at it....the angle that the hand fingers are at about 40 degree to the arm axis....and a pistol grip has about a 140 degree...er....ah....tilt....so this adds up to 180 degree....(and who sez I am not a wiz at math !!)....so this is the optimal ergonomics.

Print away IMMO....and while you're at it....design the top elevation with a semicircle saddle to accept the standard torch geometry. And yes....hard plastic for the handle section would be acceptable !!...the LD heat needs to be pulled from the metal host anyway. Hmmmm...Yes RC....the typical rear clicky could serve as the I/O....considering the placement of the thumb in this concept ??? Always...keep it simple....er….a policy I almost NEVER follow !!
Yes....a RC style LiPo cell pack in the handle makes good use of the space...but....if we are going to add a standard host to the top...it already has a battery compartment.

Hmmmm....to make some Pounds Sterling during your downtime ....... offer members here to purchase your realized design !!!!.....( My standard commission applies !! hahahah )

BTG....Yes....the rectangular battery compartment design....fits well into the pocket area formed be a partially closed fist !! Experiment away !!! Thanx

CDBEAM

Last edited:
Hopefully will be minimising downtime - And my printing costs are minimal, most would be shipping - so it's probably more cost effective to get anything made locally.

I'll see if I can mock something up this week.

We could also do something like the clamp on handle idea made to be gripped by 2-3 finger and to fit a convoy or other host and use the tail switch as a thumb switch.

I have cobbled together some thumb switch builds before and they feel good to hold and use.

It could be 3D printed so the loop fits the host snug with a couple of poly set screws up through the handle from the bottom.

Also the user could adjust the placement fore/aft to fit their hand size.

Last edited: