Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Survival Lasers 405 / 445 x-tension tubes?

Thanks for the test. It's nice to know that if I WANT TO, when I get a SL-445, I can have it go <= 100mw (for whatever reason).

Going back over the thread... it occurs to me that the 445 with 1x battery might drain the battery very fast. "Red Flag" / caution.

The eye thing... I've read the "Blue Light Hazard" material on the web. Maybe it's that "reverse bleaching effect"? And the short wavelength... our eyes just weren't designed for pure short wavelength light, and we get weird effects.

Thanks for the test. It's nice to know that if I WANT TO, when I get a SL-445, I can have it go <= 100mw (for whatever reason).

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion based on my test. I don't know whether the driver in my laser is the same as the one Gary uses... You will get a lot less power, how but, apparently can vary quite a bit.

As for the blue light hazard, I'm well, aware, the distance and output both make it perfectly safe to stare at the dot... but I just find out of all the wavelengths I've seen so far in person (5 of them) 445 is the most uncomfortable to me for some reason.

I just find out of all the wavelengths I've seen so far in person (5 of them) 445 is the most uncomfortable to me for some reason.

You're not the only one lol. It puts the most strain on my eyes second only to shining my 35W 7-8000k color temperature HID in my room. (I had to while setting the focus just right for the reflector).

Last edited:

Helios

405nm gets me the most. I cannot make out the dot at any sort of a distance. It always looks large and really fuzzy even with only 50mW but when I get close I can see its a circle. Gives me a headache some times even.

405nm gets me the most. I cannot make out the dot at any sort of a distance. It always looks large and really fuzzy even with only 50mW but when I get close I can see its a circle. Gives me a headache some times even.

No headaches, but I know exactly what you mean about the fuzzy dot... I can't focus mine without goggles either.

Garoq

Going back over the thread... it occurs to me that the 445 with 1x battery might drain the battery very fast. "Red Flag" / caution.

The eye thing... I've read the "Blue Light Hazard" material on the web. Maybe it's that "reverse bleaching effect"? And the short wavelength... our eyes just weren't designed for pure short wavelength light, and we get weird effects.

I agree that the exact output with the single 18650 is highly dependent on the voltage of the battery as well as the characteristics of the particular diode, as you and others noted.

Also agreed that the eye does not focus the shorter wavelengths well. I remember when I was in high school that there was a blue light in our school auditorium and when the lights were dim it always appeared fuzzy.

Last edited: