Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Survival Laser Rated A+

Rifter

I ordered this from survival Laser Survival Laser R 660nm Parts Bundle w/Accessories & Rechargeable Battery

It arrived very nicely packaged, he even put the delicate components(diode/driver/G2 lens) in the hard case of the eye protection for added protection during shipping. Got from US to Canada in less than 2 weeks from order date. Packaging/Shipping rated 10/10.

The host was a little rough on the finishing, was some grease/residue on some of the threads and flakes of black paint. I used a nylon brush and some rubbing alcohol to clean the threads and it was alot smoother fitting after. I also used a copper based conductive thread sealant on all sections of threads on the host that would be conducting electricity. And AC Ceramique 2 on all metal to metal connections around the heatsink and host to help with heat transfer(i dont even know if this thing will get warm yet but figured it cant hurt). The quality of the soldering on the diode/driver was excellent. Batteries are cheap looking, as is charger, but they work fine. I would rate quality of components 8/10

As for finished product it looks just like pics, i sprung for the S4 host, with red G2 lens And appears to be functioning just fine my RE X4 LPM rates it at 331mw peak after 60 seconds, avg was around 325mw. Power switch is firm feeling and has a solid click feeling when you press it, not cheap feeling at all. I would rate Overall finished appearance and functionality 9/10.

The quality of the EP eye protection seems to be good. I cant even see the dot with them on even on white paper. It came with the OD 4+ 190-470nm & 660-760nm ones and i ordered the OD 4+ 190-400nm & 580-760nm ones as well. They are different styles and the first pair listed appears to fit more snugly around your eyes, the second pair listed could suffer from letting light in from below or above you as they are not snug against face so care must be taken if looking forward above the operating laser if the laser is operating right infront of you but far below your eye level. Would rate them 7.5/10

Honestly the eye protection i purchased from laserglow is better, Both in OD rating and VLT % but the ones i got from laserglow didnt do red spectrum, and cost twice as much so not really fair to do a direct comparison.

I hope this post helps someone, if you are thinking of purchasing from Survival Laser stop waiting and do it, they appear to be a great company.

Last edited:

Rifter

Now that i got my laser focus under control i can now see the dot with the EP's on but very faintly, like 50 times dimmer than the dot on a 5mw red laser viewed with no eye protection.

Also i have tested this laser with quality and cheap batteries now, and it seems quality cell do make a difference in the power readings in that they are more solid and steady and dont jump up and down a bit like they did with ultrafire batteries.

I also adjusted the focus to cover more of the LPM sensor and got more steady but slightly lower readings than posted in the OP. With brand new Fully charged Panasonic NCR18650PF readings are 322.4mw peak but was rock solid reading for 2 min i tested it.

Enjoy shots of LPM testing and a wall shot below, also pic of laser with my new Armytek partner C1 flashlight(single CR123Cell sized) and a quarter for comparison for size of actual laser. Will try and get some beamshot but im finding lasers hard to photograph, especially using nothing but my camera in my Note 2 cell phone.

Last edited:
Survivallaser is a great company. Glad you had success with your build!:beer:

I'm thinking buy OD4 Safety Goggles from SF..

Now, I have no doubt. Thanks again ;)

Last edited:
I too can verify Survival Laser is a great place to buy from. After buying from them 3 times so far I can find nothing to complain about. Always great products as advertised and fast shipping.

Alan

Rifter

is it hard putting the laser together to make it work?

Not at all, took less than 10 min. It was my first laser assembly so it's not like I had any previous experience. I have assembled custom flashlights in the past and lasers are similar but I would say you could put this together in less than 20 min no matter your skill level as the instructions are very clear.

Last edited:

Rifter

I placed a second order for some lens springs and small heatsinks, it arrived today and the lens springs work great! Another +1 for survival laser.

I ordered some goggles from Survival Lasers and there still on their way. I've heard good review about them so I'm pretty confident in my order.

Rifter

I ordered some goggles from Survival Lasers and there still on their way. I've heard good review about them so I'm pretty confident in my order.

I have tested both the EP Eagle Pair® 190-470nm & 660-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

and EP Eagle Pair® 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles

With my 300mw 660nm laser and both work great. Neither pair lets more than 1mw through to my LPM the LPM doesn't even register power with either pair blocking the beam.

Have to say I'm very pleased with Survival Laser. Called them up told them I was having a problem with my 1400mW Blue laser I had purchased a couple of years ago. When it heats up it turns off until it cools off. He said he didn't know what it was, but would be willing to take it in and fix it.

I decided that for a small price I could upgrade my driver to a 1.8A and order a 2 watt diode from a vendor who is selling diodes that he pulled out of projectors for $56.00. So for around $95.00 I'm upgrading my laser from 1400mW to a 2000mW unit.

Too bad they I can't buy completed units from them because of the FDA and their insistence on taking the fun out of lasering for us Americans.

Great after sales support cant say enough about them.