Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Survival Laser Aluminum heatsink dimensions

About Survival Laser's color-anodized aluminum heatsinks, does anybody know:

1) total axial length

2) the large diameter of the flange

3) the smaller diameter of the body

4) flange axial thickness

The reason is to see if DTR's 20mm copper module has enough material to be machined down to the dimensions of a Survival Laser heatsink so it can fit into the S4X host.

This way, we have the diode directly mounted to the larger copper mass rather than inserting a small 12mm module with thermal paste into a larger heatsink which is not ideal for best heat transfer.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

I just wrote SurvivalLaser with some questions a few days ago, he answered the same day.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, Gary is usually real prompt at getting back to you with an answer.

I thought all this was hashed out some time ago. Back when Jordan sent out 20 mm modules to people who were developing hosts for them. I haven't had the need yet to use one, but I figured the hosts were already available and ready to use.

Last edited:
I thought all this was hashed out some time ago.

I wish....

Survival Laser came out with an 20mm adapter for their smaller hosts but not the bigger S4X host.

I emailed Gary a few days ago about his heatsink dimensions; he's probably busy so maybe I'll try again later.

Last edited:
I wish there was a copper adapter to use with a 12 mm module to make it a 20 mm, or 25 mm diameter. Anyone?

Reactions: GSS
IDK. If it were the 20 mm module, you'd only be adding 4 mm of copper around the side of the 12 mm module. I get the added efficiency of using a 20 mm module over a 12 mm one. But, you still need hosts made to take it. You can always find a host to take the 12 mm modules.

If it were the 20 mm module, you'd only be adding 4 mm of copper around the side of the 12 mm module.

True, but a 12mm module is nothing more than a very thin hollow shell with 1.5mm around the side (12mm - 9mm = 3mm, then divide by 2). So adding 4mm around the side would probably triple or quadruple the total mass around the side, especially as the diameter gets larger at the same time.

As it is now, the body diameter of the Survival Laser standard heatsink is slightly greater than 20mm so machining down a DTR module to fit would require starting with the 25mm diameter DTR module to get proper fit up with the S4X host.

The front half of the module (the important part) should work fine after machining it down to fit.

The question is, is there enough extra meat on the back half of the 25mm DTR module to machine down the outside diameter where the inner threads are at. It may get too thin there to support the threads.

Last edited:
That is only true of the 9 mm diodes. The TO-18s have much more copper surrounding the diode and TO-38s have even more. I do see the utility of 20 mm modules for diodes like the NUBM44s, but for lower power ones, I doubt it matters that much.

Reactions: GSS
Yes, you are right about the smaller lower power diodes.

Eyeballing the 25mm DTR modules on DTR's site, I suspect there is not enough meat on the back half of the 25mm module at the inner threads to machine the outside diameter down to a bit more than 20mm.

Therefore, the other option is to machine out the S4x host a bit but machining both the module AND the host increases cost - not what I am willing to do at the moment.

Or fabricate the module from scratch and commission someone to make one - another expensive option.

Last edited:
If you are going to that expense, why not have a host made from one of the machinist here. You can have one built to take DTR's 20 mm module. Some may already have some made. If you are going to have to pay to get it cut anyway............

Check with Lifetime17 or ElectricPlasma are two off the top of my head.