Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Super small YAG laser cavity

Sorry I forgot to post earlier before work, but anyway sorry about not giving the link, I use the eBay app on my phone and can’t get links just numbers. That crystal already sold but he has more in better condition, worth a shot? Or not?

Depends on what you want to make with it, those come out of a Lumenis Novus Varia eye surgery laser, they aren't high power, maybe three to four watts or so output, perhaps more. You could put a KTP crystal in front of it and get 1 to 1.5 watts of green, depending upon how much power the 1064 YAG puts out and crystal efficiency, but the temperature must be carefully controlled for both the diode bar driving the YAG as well as the non-linear crystal/KTP.

This kind of project is likely to disappoint, unless you can get the mirrors designed for the YAG and crystal. I have two complete tri-color Novus Varia lasers, one I bought from this same seller, so I have the parts to do so, someday.... I HOPE. I bought them for the 561 nm parts. i had asked this seller to contact me when he lists more parts for those units, he forgot.

Here's a photo of the unit i bought from him showing that 1064 nm 2 x 2 x 12 mm YAG mount, plus my mark ups identifying the parts and how it works:

Last edited:
Alright sounds like a project for another day :) that’s a super interesting laser though

I asked that seller if he would let me know if he lists more of those, but he said you had spoken up for them. I thought you were too poor!

I only asked how many more he had/how much they are never said I was going to get one, although I really want one I still can’t afford it lol

I don’t need one, but I’d like more, might not tear apart one of mt RGY units then.

Well if you want to Alaskan you can have the ones I wanted, I probably wouldn’t be able to use them anyway because I don’t have anything to control temperature and align mirrors etc. but one day if I come lookin for one I’ll be sure to ask if you want to sell one :)

Your decision, don't step out of the way for me, you contacted him first.

Are they even possible to pump with say a 3 watt hhl package diode to get a few hundred millieatts out of? If you haven’t seen one just type in HHL laser diode package on google. It’s basically a c mount diode in a housing with built in TEC. Would that be possible? Or does it need those 20-30 watt coherent diodes that need huge heat sinks and stuff?

It was used with a 20 watt diode array in the Novus Varia, I don't know how little drive would be needed to do that.

Well main question is I wonder if it has to be as long as the bar to pump it? Or can it be concentrated in one area to get light out of it still? You might not know and that’s okay but that’s what is keeping me from saying yes or no that I want to get it

They are designed to be side pumped with a full bar to have much efficiency, that's why the crystal is 12 mm long, matches the width of a array bar.

Alright thanks for explaining Chris I aprreciate it. You can take the crystals if you want them, I won’t ever get to a machine shop to make heatsinks and other things so might as well not get them. They are all yours my friend :) also I’ve got a question for anyone that can answer it. The c-mount laser diodes have a very small cube of white ceramic material right under the long flat cathode, is that just normal ceramic or is it BeO? If it is BeO I’m not going to touch it in fear I will die :)

Last edited:
Thanks, he might want too much for them, that last one sold cheap because the crystal had a flaw.

That might be BEO, but I just don't know, that stuff is safe in that form unless you grind it into a powder and breath it in etc.