Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suggestions for 1-1.5w 520nm or 532nm handheld

Kaboom

Hey guys....I’ve been away from here for a number of years. Looking to get a GOOD 1-1.5W green. I have a 7w 445nm build I did a while back and now want a green as well. Numerous years ago I bought a 700mW green from jet lasers and it died shortly after....never bothered to contact them about it figuring it was China and would be a pain in the ass.

I’ve read some good things about Sanwu and am considering them. Are their outputs accurate or inflated? Durability and quality? Are there other companies you would recommend?

I’m a newb when it comes to this stuff....yes, I do wear GOOD goggles with my blue! Didn’t realize about 520nm green......other than slight color difference, any advantage or disadvantage to that over a 532nm? Appreciate help with pointing me in the right direction with this. Also tried to go directly to jet lasers sight but nothing comes up...however when clicking on specific links that were in the forum it did take me to that page. Weird!
Steve

Last edited:

Didn’t realize about 520nm green......other than slight color difference, any advantage or disadvantage to that over a 532nm?

520nm is achieved via a diode, whereas 532nm is via DPSS (Diode Pumped Solid State). As you mentioned, there will be a color difference between them, although very little. A diode laser will perform better at different temperature ranges as it isn't affected by crystals (which are used in DPSS lasers) which tend to be quite finicky when the temperature isn't right. Also, diode lasers usually cost less, but not always. Divergence (which is how much a laser beam spreads out over distance) is usually much better on DPSS lasers. :)

-Alex

Reactions: GSS
To get 1W of 520nm, you are going to want to build with a Nichia NDG7475 or similar. Check the "List of Diodes" thread.

If you built a laser with a 7W blue diode in it in the past, you already know about the ridiculous amount of heat these high power LDs can chuck out, but do be careful as they're expensive parts. Losing a $160 diode from carelessness will hurt.

You will want very good goggles - but check if the ones you have from your blue build cover the spectrum including 520nm as well - if they do then excellent.

JetLasers might be a chinese firm, but you can probably still contact them to fix that 700mW 532 you had. I believe Len (Hakzaw) is an importer or at least keeps in contact with JL, so you may be able to get through to them via him if not directly.

Welcome back, Steve. You have already gotten some good advice about building a handheld 520nm and 532nm laser. The NDG7475 is a great diode for a direct diode build, but if you use the short focal length aspheric lens, like you would use for the other blue diodes, you'll find it produces a rectangular artifact that can only be removed by using the 520nm AR coated 2 element lens from DTR. It will cost you ~20% of your power to use this over the G2 lens. Good luck.

Kaboom

Thx for the responses guys. Does anyone have experience with the Sanwu line? How is their quality? Also looking at a build from a couple of members here. Thx again!

I have never purchased a Sanwu laser, but they do have a good reputation among members here. I personally think they are too expensive and use host materials like stainless steel, which has horrible thermal conductivity. I have found you can build a better laser for less money, but if you decide to buy from them you likely will get a working laser that will last.....as long as you adhere to their run times.

hey Paul,they use aluminum heatsink, they are not stainless steel, others are copper nickel alloys

They do use stainless steel for the host material in some of their HH lasers. Yes, the heat sink inside the host is not SS, but the host is. I have often thought it was a bad idea because the heat sink can't readily release the heat to the air through a SS host.

Not sure the 5% off sale is still good.
~$290 for Laser and BE .
ships from china for $38 (iirc) the one I have here ships for less..

specs prices etc are here, its listed as 700mW BUT J never sells any but overspec --so it used to be 900mW to 1W..
same laser-- I can send to a meter reading from the one I have here.. IF you are in US I can add some nice extras to the box.
like (lifetime supply of batts)
Laser is black- the only BE I have left is silver-greyish not a perfect color match but no big deal.
hakzaw

I have a 900mW 520nm for sale, you won't tell the difference between 900mW and 1W. It was a custom build and won't just die on you like some cheap mass produced chinese lasers can.