Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suggestion; "What I'm Doing Now" Bar

Oh well people, here I am again.

As many of you might have seen, LPF has turned into a place where we all have Profiles (like facebook, twitter etc) and many of us have many friends here (like me) and I was asking myself these days, when people PMed me and when I saw some posts a member in the Vets area,

Why not implement a place where the user can write something on his profile?
I've seen many (unsucessful) tries of inserting something like "welcome to my profile" and it would be good to have a place where we can write something like "away, be right back" or "I'll be off some time.. send me a PM that I'll answer".

It would be much more convenient than reading the person last post (maybe not) and presuming the user don't frequent the forum anymore etc.

Oh yeah and it could be configurable such "all can read", "only members can read" or "only friends can read". Would be veeeeeeeeeeeery interesting!

What you people think? :yh:

I think that Cyparagon's post was one of most epic ones lately.

BTW, Congrats on 3000 posts, Cy.

I hate FaceBook and everything about it, all it's dirty and sleazy ways of keeping innocent people involontarily addicted to it.

Read about it.

If you have a dire need to know what exactly is a person doing at any specific moment, or more greatly, if you have a need to *update your status* every freaking 5 minutes, you have problems.

Hmmm I didn't said every 5 minutes.
I said something like "I'll be off LPF, I'm sick. PM me and I'll reply as I can" or something like that.

Edit: Are not we, innocent people, involuntarily addicted to lasers? :p :p

Hmmm I didn't said every 5 minutes.
I said something like "I'll be off LPF, I'm sick. PM me and I'll reply as I can" or something like that.

Edit: Are not we, innocent people, involuntarily addicted to lasers? :p :p
Okay,

Constructing lasers is a way of learning exceptionally useful new things, and ofcourse, lasers are awesome as it is. Everything about them is fascinating. How the hell did somebody at some point figure out a quantum well structure of PN junction to produce laser light is beyond me. Everything from that to today is miracle of science.

Using that to make handheld devices utilizing that is surely worth of a "hobby" title. Hell, "profession" even.

Now, one good thing about facebook is that it has several billions dollars of revenue for it's founder. I take my hat off to that man.
NOT to users of said network. Idea , concept is not that bad. What people are doing with it is horrible.

Do yourself a favour. Never, ever ever compare lasers to facebook again. Ever.

:O I don't have a facebook and I'm not comparing they. I don't like that "social networks" but it is like drugs lol. Everyone is addicted as you said.

Lets forget facebook for a little time,
tell me, if LPF had such a function, you would use it? For functions like "I'm off LPF the week, I'll answer PMs of the arctic I'm selling 28-Feb" or something like that?

It is just an idea; Again, I'm not comparing anything. I personally hate these social networks ...

Whoh, good to know we're on same side :)

If that option existed, no I would not use it since it's defeating it's purpose. If I have important info to post about my Arctic sale, I'll post it in my Arctic sale thread. If I'll be gone for a while, I do not need to post that since I'm not exactly shipping stuf to tens of customers here.

I do not do business here. I can vanish for a month without any consequences. I hand around at LaserChat a lot and if it's important, I'll let somebody know there that I'll be missing so if anybody asks (unlikely as it is) those people can tell them.

And for anything else at all, you've got your "About me" element in your profile.

So I see nothing that would be good to add in that field you are suggesting. Anything I can think of can be posted to better places where it will be seen better and understood.

This isn't a vent-off thread so I'll not talk about the facebook :beer:

Oh well. Another fail suggestion hahah. I was talking about something that "everyone can see" without searching your threads, bad example the arctic thread..

Well then, let this thread die please, unless you have anything more to state :beer:

Maybe you could put your status updates in your sig with all the other garbage that tends to accumulate there.

It's a win-win-win. You get your updates, we stay away from facebook, and mister avery isn't bothered with software.

It was not actually offense, meaning was lost in translation. When he said accumulated garbage, he meant the general usage of signatures, with emphasys on it's negative side.

Not explicitly your signature, it's generalized.

HIMNL9

Sorry for say this, but those "bars" are, imho, in the better case a unhelpful thing, and in the worse case a server overload source ..... first cause it needs a script that can easily overload the forum or cause problems in running the main part of the VBulletin script, and also, it have no sense when one just left the PC turned on and is doing something other, like as example i do all the time ..... once you're on a page, the bar will continuously state "user xxxx is reading this post" as if you're still always at the PC, also if you're doing something different.

As for the last reason (but this is a totally personal reason that just worth half cent :p), i HATE (and i mean it in the full sense of the word) any so-called "asocial networks", and all their "features", and all that what derive from them, and i also HATE all the so-called "toolbars" (or, better said, trollbars) that any site try to push in your b.....rowser :)p), so, for me, any of these thing is a big no-no for definition.

Said this, ofcourse it's solely c0ld decision if implement it or not (i can only hope that, if he decide to implement it, it become in the form of an "optional" choice in the user control panel, same as if show or see signatures and similars and not just a fixed "feature" for the board ;))