Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Styropyros newest video, anyone beaten it/ have an idea?

I guess everything is a controversy these days...
Since everyone is so upset, ill share my top secret dangerous ideas:

Recipe for highest power/gram handheld laser:
10W 808nm c-mount diode
Minimal aluminum heatsink
Basic current regulator
High discharge lipo
Skeleton host

Its more fun when we engage in discussion rather than complain about it. We all recognize safety is important. "The hobby" is relegated to Chinese mass producers and the saps that buy their products anyway.

Giannis_TDM

I guess everything is a controversy these days...
Since everyone is so upset, ill share my top secret dangerous ideas:

Recipe for highest power/gram handheld laser:
10W 808nm c-mount diode
Minimal aluminum heatsink
Basic current regulator
High discharge lipo
Skeleton host

Its more fun when we engage in discussion rather than complain about it. We all recognize safety is important. "The hobby" is relegated to Chinese mass producers and the saps that buy their products anyway.
I got another recipe:
3x 18350s
4 of my 3A buck drivers
40w 656 array
and a minimal alu custom host/heatsink with lots of holes drilled in the battery compartment.
200mw/g minimum from some rough calculations. (assuming a weight of 200gr)

It's all perspective my friend, in mine, Styro is over the top begging to get these things regulated with how he displays the high power lasers as well as keeps repeating how dangerous they are.... AND, they can be, how can we fault him for such warnings? And he knows that, but sharp steak knives are dangerous too.... Don't drink too much water either, that can kill you. It's a slippery slope to complain about dangerous lasers, but he adds plenty of fuel oil first making the example, and then broadcasting how fricken dangerous these things are to hundreds of thousands.

OK, I just bought a gallon of oil to add to it, wait until you see my dangerous laser! Alaskan is a HYPOCRITE! Just that I don't have very many people see what I'm building, so less potential damage to our hobby. Styro does what he does for clicks, that's his goal, as many views as possible. I have a YT channel too, few come because I do not sensationalize like he will, never will do so, I hope.... but who knows? Maybe I could end up doing the same thing... wait until you see my next laser! If I ever complete it!

Last edited:

Mr. Delirium

I would say that I don't mind styro, (Note: Idk why I'm getting into this controversy tbh) a lot of his videos from 9+ years ago are what I've been using to learn how to make drivers, take apart DVD sleds for diodes, and assemble hosts. He's not the reason I got into lasers as I'd been interested in them a long time before I watched his videos, but I have found them quite entertaining. He usually explains how he built his projects which is something I like.

But I also realize that when millions of people watch your sensational videos about very dangerous things, as much as you warn against them, someone is going to be stupid and hurt themselves.

If we all limited ourselves to prevent anyone else from ever getting hurt, then we couldn't own a bucket of water because some fool would drown in his water bucket.