Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Styropyro 5 mW to 200mW mod help

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster here. I followed styropyro's guide found in this link: http://styropyro.com/tutorials/greenmod.htm
And received my laser and parts today. I got the parts linked in the guide including the true green DX laser pointer and the 200mW module. Went to work on it and when I used the vice to pull apart my DX true green laser pointer, the silver cap came off, but the module inside did not come out and does not look like the 200mW I was going to replace into the pointer. Is this guide outdated? How can I use this 200mW module? Any pointers out there that will harbor the 200mW module?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Can you take some pics of what you got?
The modules don't always come out with the caps. In fact I have never had mine come out with the cap so don't worry about that. Let me see a few pics and I can help you further.

20k698w.jpg

669oxy.jpg

2ex999f.jpg

ddyouv.jpg

5d0zec.jpg

I think I figured out the pics. What's got me puzzled is in the how to video styropyro posted, it looks like the silver cap threads into the module. Appreciate the help!

I'm disappointed to see this. :( For years, the DX "true 5mW" pointers have had the configuration where the cap is threaded into the module, while other crappy lasers with a very similar outside appearance (found on eBay and such) have had the configuration you have here. This configuration is very hard to deal with, and the module is nearly impossible to pull out. DX must have switched very recently, because even the "true 5mW" pointers I got from them this spring were of the old style.

Luckily, there are many hosts on eBay that will work with that module.
Laser Pointer Pen Housing Casing Host for 12mm Laser Module | eBay

This one will likely work too: Adjustable Focusable Housing Host Case for Laser Pointer Torch GD 320 Type | eBay

Thanks for the help man, love your videos btw. Where might I find the spring to solder to the back of my module along with the foam? Oh, and a how to video would be great!!!! =-)

There is a spring and foam insert in that new true 5, but it may require a hacksaw to cut through the casing to get to it. Glad you like the videos BTW! :D

Also it should be noted that your "200mw" module won't be anywhere near 200mw. You would have been better off getting one from fasttech for 5$, they are the exact same thing. And you would have probably been easier off buying an empty pen host, they are sold by a lot of Chinese sellers on eBay.

Last edited:
That also is disappointing to hear. While I'm all about DIY and self gratification, is there anyone who can just build or sell me a true (measured) 200-500mW green laser, and not charge me my left arm? It's very difficult for a newb such as myself to try and order parts that take weeks to come, and end up not being the correct parts.

That also is disappointing to hear. While I'm all about DIY and self gratification, is there anyone who can just build or sell me a true (measured) 200-500mW green laser, and not charge me my left arm? It's very difficult for a newb such as myself to try and order parts that take weeks to come, and end up not being the correct parts.

Well unfortunately for the green wavelength you may need to throw in your kidney as well... you may want to try 638nm, or 450nm, youll get cheaper there.

Good thing I have two kidneys! What kind of pricing are we talking about? What about a 100-200mW green laser?

Not in a module the size of those cheapo chinese things.

It can be a flashlight type host, I'm not set on the pen pointer style. I'm open to suggestions

It can be a flashlight type host, I'm not set on the pen pointer style. I'm open to suggestions

You're in luck there's a guy on here selling his lasers off and at good prices because of a move.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/sale-94849.html
He has a 200mw green laser in his list so give him a message and see what he wants for it.

Styro you should update your guide so that other people won't waste more of their money.

Last edited:
Will do...this is the first I've heard of this happening. I have a big shipment of "true 5mW" pointers that I'll be getting in a couple weeks so I'll see if all of mine are like that.

Will do...this is the first I've heard of this happening. I have a big shipment of "true 5mW" pointers that I'll be getting in a couple weeks so I'll see if all of mine are like that.

Keep us updated. Sorry if I was harsh with you before about your videos. I know you don't really want people to hurt themselves nor misuse them in an inappropriate manner.