Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Students Shined a Laser and Blinded Their Fellow - Please Read !

Hi Everyone ,

I felt I had to share this with the community here on LPF so we will all remember how dangerous lasers can be.

This has happen here in Israel a few days ago.

These kids used a 5mW laser ! We use much more powerful lasers everyday. So please read this and keep it in mind the next time you use your lasers.

This is an example of how to not use lasers !

" Police arrested four boys from Jerusalem on suspicion that they shined a laser pen at the eyes of one of their classmates and causing some damage to his vision. Detectives from Merchav Moriah police arrested the boys, aged 13-14 attending schools in south Jerusalem, after it became clear that they lit up the laser in the pen that they purchased at a kiosk near their school, at the other student's eyes.

The student who received the glare of the laser continued his daily school routine. But shortly afterwards, he felt that his vision was impaired and worsening. He told his parents about the incident and the laser pen. Soon thereafter, the school decided to suspend three of the students who were involved in the incident. The four students who were arrested by the police were released at the end of the investigation under restrictive conditions. "

The article : http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/in-israel/local/students-shine-laser-from-pen-towards-classmate-affects-his-vision-3565

Another article regarding that case : Google Translate

There are more articles about that case but they are all in Hebrew. At last this kid is now Blind in one eye. Very sad that this has happened because they did not know what lasers can do.

This hobby is very important to me and to many others. So before you do stupid stuff remember us. Because if there will be more and more cases like this ... Our hobby will be highly Illegal.

Please use safety goggles every time you use lasers. And do not try to amaze your friends ... unless they also wear goggles.

Thanks For Reading ! :thanks:

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing this Joker, it's sad to know our hobby will always be at risk because of some immature teenagers/kids who think laser are harmless :(

Do you know if anything has happened to the person running the kiosk? Maybe on the other articles in Hebrew?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. +1

I wonder what the actual output of the pointer is, I think a >5mW must have been used to inflict semi-permanent eye damage.

Anyone else think the article's photo looks fake?

page_Laserpen_w437_h328.jpg

Hi :) Thanks for the comments ! ^^

Thanks for sharing. +1

I wonder what the actual output of the pointer is, I think a >5mW must have been used to inflict semi-permanent eye damage.

Anyone else think the article's photo looks fake?

page_Laserpen_w437_h328.jpg

Thank you for sharing this Joker, it's sad to know our hobby will always be at risk because of some immature teenagers/kids who think laser are harmless :(

Do you know if anything has happened to the person running the kiosk? Maybe on the other articles in Hebrew?

Greenlander , they did not post anything about the guy who sold this laser to the kids. I am also searching and looking to see what will happen to him.

I will update if there are any news.

ryansoh3 , this photo is probably fake. This kid used a 5mW 532nm green pointer like the one on the DX.

Now just think what would have happend if these kids would have used a 1W 445nm .. :(

Last edited:
That photo is almost certainly fake. But who knows how much power was actually being outputting by the pen...

That photo is almost certainly fake. But who knows how much power was actually being outputting by the pen...

Yea that is right. Ebay laser pens has a higher output although they being sold as "5mW Pens".

Thanks for the comment ! :)

Last edited:
I think we're getting a little too caught up on the trivialities such as whether the laser was above some certain threshold or not. The real point is that kid was being bullied by some others who had access to a laser, and the laser was being purposely shone at the kid's eyes beyond whatever blink reflex he had. Whether he actually suffered any real eye damage is subjective and many people report bad vision after being flash blinded regardless of the power.

The real point is that the bullies were being harassing another kid with lasers. Regardless of the power, people shouldn't be purposely trying to shine lights into their eyes or others. It's good that these kids got caught and the authorities are taking stuff like this seriously.

Also, do you guys always poke holes in the stock photos that news sites use to fill up space?

I think we're getting a little too caught up on the trivialities such as whether the laser was above some certain threshold or not. The real point is that kid was being bullied by some others who had access to a laser, and the laser was being purposely shone at the kid's eyes beyond whatever blink reflex he had. Whether he actually suffered any real eye damage is subjective and many people report bad vision after being flash blinded regardless of the power.

The real point is that the bullies were being harassing another kid with lasers. Regardless of the power, people shouldn't be purposely trying to shine lights into their eyes or others. It's good that these kids got caught and the authorities are taking stuff like this seriously.

Also, do you guys always poke holes in the stock photos that news sites use to fill up space?

Thanks for the great comment ^^

I see what you mean. That people attack others with lasers. This is the real point here. They shined it to his eye on purpose ...

I wish people will stop sell lasers to kids. They do not really understand what this thing can do without proper safety gear. And in Israel , the police can not really do anything to the kids as they are underage.

As you said , people should not even try to shine lasers into another eyes. Power does not really matter here ... But just imagine these bullies hold a 1W laser.

I never sold anything to kids. And I hope that anyone who sells lasers here will also avoid from selling to underage kids or to people who do not understand the importance of safety and the danger that lasers can cause.

Here's the article from the Hebrew edition of ynetnews, translated in English by Google:

Google Translate

Thanks ! ^^

This article is a bit better. I will update the OP.

Last edited:
This is tragic. The victim of bullying being blinded in one eye and by a laser. My heart goes out that poor kid. It's not clear what the reasons were that started it. But the weapon chosen by the bullies to cause harm could also have been something innocuous like a pencil, ruler, scissors etc. Or even threatening or hurtful words eg. in cyber-bullying which have led to even suicides. So it may be just as useful if not more critical, to deal with the root causes and acts of bullying. Education against bullying and not just policies to deal with such crimes committed by children are key to arresting this disturbing trend. Targeting just lasers would be missing the wood for the trees.

Last edited:
This is tragic. The victim of bullying being blinded in one eye and by a laser. But the weapon chosen by the bullies to cause harm could also have been something innocuous like a pencil, ruler, scissors etc. Or even threatening or hurtful words eg. in cyber-bullying which have led to even suicides. So it may be just as useful if not more critical, to deal with the root causes and acts of bullying. Education against bullying and not just policies to deal with such crimes committed by children are key to arresting this disturbing trend. Targeting just lasers would be missing the wood for the trees.

You are right. All I am saying here is that people should not do that because the Police and the authorities does look at the lasers like they are the main cause here. And that is what I want to prevent.

Lasers are dangerous. But knifes and guns are even more dangerous. But , lasers can be bought freely unlike guns.

And in order to keep the laser hobby legal - so we can buy lasers and sell them , we need to promote safety.

Because one day , authorities might be more aggressive about that issue.

Thanks for the comment ! :beer:

That poor kid. Probably an overspec laser too. This is a very sad, but all too common story these days. :(