Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Strange (maybe not?) thing when burning with red.

EXPLODED? I'm intrigued. Rapid expansion of spider internal organs so that they break apart the outside of the abdomen?

Lol... did it make a noise?

Yeah, bugs are pretty sickening with the high power blues... At infinity focus at over 1 watt of power, it will kill pretty much any small insect at several feet of distance very efficiently, and if you can hold it still, you'll get a thick little wisp of smoke coming off the now dead bug, plus tiny popping noises, still several feet away.

At close focus of say a few inches or less, the effects are pretty shocking. The insect, if small enough, is guaranteed dead within a fraction of a second, and small segmented insects like ants tend to actually blow apart (with of course a pop and a brilliant flash) into a couple of pieces the instant the beam hits them. Any organic material remaining in the beam path will violently pop and jet smoke, and even the ashes will vaporize away, leaving only a blackish stain on whatever surface the unfortunate insect was on, rather like the "shadows" left behind in Hiroshima. The only experience like it that I know of is using one of those large page magnifier plastic fresnel lenses in bright sun or a high voltage arc, but neither is quite the same of course. It would make a pretty horrific demo video and leave no doubt as to how much power these things really have, but I'm sure the responses would be pretty horrific too, so I ain't goin' there.

Yeah It made a sound it was pretty awesome, big spider too. It was roughly as large as a nickle. I tried getting it from several feet away but it moved alot so I could keep my aim on it, but once the focus hit it i saw a white flash (through my goggles) heard a loud pop! and the only spider left in the room was mine :crackup:

Benm

Hehe.. some people complained about safety issues with the high voltage bug zappers, i wonder what they thing of this :)

Then again, it doesnt take more than 200 mW or s to clip a flies wings off surgical fashion. Hitting one with a full watt of 445 might be an instant kill - havent tried that yet :)

Ive noticed on my low power "5mw" 402nm (violet) pointer that when focused to a point and burning stuff I get flashes of red, kinda weird.