Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Strange beam

Robk

I had a return of a defective DVD writer, an LG GSA-H42N. It had a standard closed LD with a window. I put it in a Aixiz holder with a glass lens and the resulting beam was horrible - a line with 2 dots as can be seen in the rather poor photo. I tried a different lens, cleaned the LD window with alcohol on a Qtip, it's not dirt, it's not the lens. This DVD drive would not read or write DVDs - I'm thinking the LD is defective. Anyone run into this? It burns tape and black plastic when run at 225mA, just has an ugly beam!
Rob
www.tomokadesigns.com/laser.jpg  

***EDIT FIXED LINK***

S

SenKat

Robk said:
I don't know why, but the board called ma a stupid spammer!

LOL @@!!

you put three X's in a row - it interprets that as p o r n ....if you wanna do three X's, you have to space them ! x x x like that ! hehehe SOMETIMES it can be amusing :p Othertimes, it is a pain in the ass !

G !

S

SenKat

I have seen a beam spec like that before - a grain of dust has settled on the didoe emitter chip itself - and thus screwed up the whole diode ! now - you MAY get lucky - if you have a centrifuge handy (and TRUST ME PEEPS - if ANYONE has one laying around the house, it is this guy ! LOL) You can spin the diode, and knock the grain loose perhaps - or maybe some sharp rapping movements could knock it loose - but it is sitting right on the emitter - and that boogers everything up !

G !

Robk

Interesting! I may have to rig something up to spin it like you say! I'm assuming that this is why the drive failed in the field - when I got it back the only thought on my mind was to tear it down! Thanks Greg-
Rob

LarryQ

Nahhhhhh...
Good reason to pull it out and put a new open diode out of a 20X burner in there....

hehehehehehe

I have a closed diode out of a 16X burner that has a very similar patern..

one center dot, with a Line that runs through it like yours...Looke like the planet Saturn!

Except mine is "only" a line..it doesn't seem to want to sprout another dot.

Look on the "Brite" side..(Pun Intended)...you have a reason to build another laser!!!

Yaaahooooooooo

Larry

laser.jpg

wow, I never seen that befor,

mm, don't know what to do.

Gazoo

Hmmm...I have seen that before too. I thought it was caused from driving the diode too hard. I just noticed my open can diode is doing it but at least I can try to vacuum it out.. ;D

Gazoo

It didn't work. But it is not very noticeable and I am not too concerned. The power is still there and the beam is just as good as ever.

SenKat said:
[quote author=Robk link=1187570730/0#1 date=1187571441]I don't know why, but the board called ma a stupid spammer!

Othertimes, it is a pain in the ass !

G ![/quote]

wait so it doesnt block ass?

anyway, ive had some trouble with lenses before, but i dont think that that is dirt or a scratch. it could be a scratch way on the inside, but not on any externel or other lenses. its kind of weird that it made a whole nother dot though. i wouldnt worry about it too much if it still burns stuff, unless youre interested in more then burning.

Gazoo

Nevermind...I did some more testing and it is definitely the diode causing the line.

LarryQ

WOW Big time ????

If you rotate the whole light and the line moves, then I would question if the diode is really rotating in the last "Test" you did...

If anyone notices it ..just tell them you made a "Saturn's Rings" laser...it burns just as good..but if you adjust the lens just right you can make this COOL Saturn's ring Beam!!

Think "Marketing" here people!!!

LarryQ

I have a saturn beam too but it is more like connect the dots with a single dot since i haven't put much power into the diode yet. My line is almost as bright to eye as the dot. But my camera is not fooled though.