Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Starting my Laser right now, HELP ! plz

Hi, im ready to start my first laser with my dad because he knows more than me about electronics, i just recieve all my pieces this morning!

I have MXDL flash-light from deal-extreme
I have Sony diode pre-installed in Aixiz Module from Stonetek
I have 3V and 3,6V cr123a Batteries (i don't know which to use)

I wanna make my laser as this guide: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870

I'll go buy some resistors,washers,etc. right after someone respond to me.
The problem (1), i want to make this driver : (attach)

I showed it to my father and he said that there was not much room in the MXDL for this...And on my tutorial guide I don'T really see the driver he uses but it looks like only 2 resistors....so what should i do???
Does this driver is small enough for my MXDL?

The problem (2), i need heatsink, so i will use washers like in the tutorial....but is it enough? Only 3 washers will do it?
I need a bit of explaination on this please.

Thank you for your help, I'll be posting a lot on this thread because i'm making my laser right now.

Attachments

• LM317_components01_006_001.jpg
    LM317_components01_006_001.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 474

He used the same driver in his pictures that he showed in the diagram, the parts just look different (the LM317 is in a different package in his photographs, making it look different).

But yes, there is room. One thing you can do on the MXDL is if you are mounting the driver components on the PCB, you can drill out the front of the piece of aluminum to make that hole bigger and make room for the driver. You can also cut the back off of the Aixiz housing to make more room that way. For more help on this build, check this page: http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDLHeatsinkTips.doc for some of Jayrob's tips. He also makes a great heatsink if you want to use it instead of washers. It's a little pricier, but looks nice and can be very good if you want a little more heatsinking, it's a sticky at the top of the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

In that document, the hole you can enlarge is the one int he aluminum in the picture on the top right. The bottom left picture is how jayrob fits the driver onto the board. Also, you can cut the heatsink tab off of the LM317, as he did in his picture.

So, drilling the aluminum piece more open, cutting the back of the Aixiz housing off, and cutting the heatsink tab off of the LM317 case are all good ways to make more room in the MXDL. It's tight, but it will all fit. Jayrob, I, and others have done it successfully, just be patient and make sure metal parts aren't shorting out to one another or getting twisted or anything.

I'll try with washers first and i'll command a heatsink for my next laser...
The laptop of my friend just died and he gave me his cd/dvd  player/burner...i disembled it and i don't know what is the diode...it looks like there is 2.
So i'll probably try an other laser with this...

Thank you for the help, i'm startung building tomorow morning!
i hope everything goes fine.

EDIT: Does he have 2 resistors of 10 Ohm on the picture in the file??? i only see the LM317,1 resistor, the black and yellow thing....

Can you explain me why this picture says the not used pin is the one on the casing and on this one it looks to be the other one.

Attachments

• LM317_components01_006_002.jpg
    LM317_components01_006_002.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 752
other questions:
how many washers does he use??? in his guide??
He doesn't seem to have everything that is on the shema, on his driver ( in the guide), why??
What does he use exactly?

D

D.S.Darkness

he uses six, read through the guide it tells you exactly how he did it, and how you can do it, and i dont mean just skim through it actually read what he says in it. Its very useful and hes very clear on how he does it

i read and i only see 2 resistors and a LM317....
You sure he uses all the parts??
<

PS: i don't understand everything since english isnt my main language.

that diagram posted by trixabbit is wrong

if the pint is case grounded it is most likely negative

in the LM317 pic, the diode shown is a red diode. The second pic brpo.jpg is the diagram for a blu-ray diode.

Ted

daguin

trixrabbit said:
Can you explain me why this picture says the not used pin is the one on the casing and on this one it looks to be the other one.

One diode is a red diode and the other is a blu-ray diode. The pinouts are different. The pinout in the DDL circuit diagram is the red pinout.

Peace,
dave