Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Starter diode

Hello, I am from the Netherlands and a bit new to this diy laser projects because I've only build one red laser from a dvdburner. So my question to start with my next build:
What is a good diode to start? I've heard of the PHR diodes and I like the PHR-803T but is this one good enough? (Because it's really cheap)
I don't want to spend to much money on a diode because I'm afraid to burn it...

Thanks. J.L.

Have you taken a look at some 650nm diode from eBay? Most retail for about $1-2 and are of pretty good quality.

I can't provide you with a link to them since these school computers block eBay. Sorry about that :(

@MuNeErMaStEr These are pretty expensive, ~$50, but good quality. Maybe later, when I know some more about this.

@Tha Greenlander I saw them, but they're kinda lowpowered (about 5mW), searching for something about 150~250 mW, wavelength doesn't matter. Is the PHR sled a good idea?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI G700-U10 met Tapatalk

DTR

Yes a PHR-803 would be a good choice as a starter diode not risking as much if you burn one out in the learning process. Also a LPC-826 which has a little more power in red is a good low cost decent power diode as well. Just remember to get some safety glasses.:beer:

Thankyou DTR! Useful information :) I already bought safety glasses for red 650nm, I think. I'll try one of those two for my next build.

Thank y'al. J.L.

Yea, i recommend the LPC-826 as well. 10$ for ~35-mW, then another maybe 2-3$ for a homeade LM317 driver.

For a flashlight-alike host, could I use a driver from aixiz.com, isn't it? That's a lot smaller than some kind of ddl or lm317t driver. Got the parts for the lm317 but it won't easily fit in a flashlight host.