Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SS Beam Splitter question

With just one diode laser it will either pass light or reflect it like a mirror depending the orientation of the laser.

I was just looking at those- I cant seem to ever rmember anyone combining two 532 greens with a BSC. i this done with a wave plate or knife edging-- at 35$ each these fron fred look interesting and at a price that is great LMHO- and these people are the best to work with- I*think* I want two of these-- if we can get a better price I can contact G-fred and see if he will deal us on a Group Buy order-- shipping at SS is laways 5$ no matter how big o heavy- so if all were shipped at same time the cost would already go down but not muck when they get re-shipped- I think if an order is strated we could see how many in stock- if SS has just a few no GB deal would happen..

as far as the OP's question- yes... a little.... but these are of the most use by PJ -lumia-spiro makers etc. for combining lasers. so if you shine your HHeld blue thru it you would get two beams from the cube -in reverse you can combing two. BUt IIRC they must be the same (or near)wavelength.. (with this kind of BSC)

$35 is cheap for new optics of this kind- my 405 cube is half that size and was a steal at 40$ (SELEM BS&T)

This is such an odd question. You have no goal in mind? You're just asking what you can do with two items?

"How can I combine a computer mouse with this rhino footprint?"
"If I have a map of Tunisia and an orange peel, what can I build?"
"What can I make with this compass and this jar of mayonnaise?"

ARG

They are used for combining two lasers of opposite polarization (diode), or splittiing the beam of a laser with random polarization (HeNe)

Whether that's useful for what you're trying to do or not is up to you.

Wow, tough crowd. :eek:

I don't have anything specific in mind. I just wanted to know if this beamsplitter was something that could enhance the laser effect on friends and family. I was also throwing it out there that Surplus Shed had these at a decent price.

I'm a computer person, not an optics person. I chose Computer Science instead of Physics. Sue me. :eg:

-Bob

Might be a fun component in a sort of simple light computer, or light calculator, if you think of | and - polarization as representing digital 1 and 0. This device takes a "data stream" and points it in one direction if it's a "1," and points it in an orthogonal direction if it's a "0"

I probably wouldn't use a laser on my friends and family, though ;-)

I think things like diffraction gratings may be more what you would enjoy.

Or you could try simple projects like spiro--liquid sky--tunnel efx or LUMIA- and use your laser (sparingly) to light these efx up. its easy to forget the duty/rest cycle when you are enjoying these efx.

Search 'Tunnel gun' thats a nifty device--

Such things will direct you towards laser projector(with scanners) and THAT'S were all the real FUN begins.. save both time and money get a PJ.

I have a few to sell-PM me anytime/ :)