Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spl’s or solar pumped lasers are now a thing.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes they aren’t a new thing however I welcome any updates in progress and efficiency. I even looked into whether or not I could obtain a crystal.

kecked

And…..I would like some info too. This is seriously cool. I imagine the juice is mw but that is ok by me. My heat vane is picowatts so why not.

Eidetical

Here's the first sun pumped laser to transmit a TV signal, from Laser Focus of March,1966. Also the first commercial spatial filter, from Jodon Engineering Associates.LFMar66Jodon.jpg

kecked

I wonder if you can sidestep some of the heat with an ir cut filter like on glass on buildings. Put in front of mirror before it concentrates. Now you just get the optical part. Might even filter more that isn’t absorbed.

i was thinking this was some super crystal that direct sunlight without concentration would cause it to lase. Guess that only happens in star trek when they need to break out of a jail.

Eidetical

Two more pics of sun-pumped lasers from the '60s below. The first shows Dr. Zoltan Kiss from RCA (I believe).

Sun Pumped Laser Kiss.jpg

Sun Pumped Laser.jpg