Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SPIRO_ every one should build at least one

Analog Laser Abstract Generator AKA-SPIRO_ everyone should build at least one

Updating with Gadget--
SPiRO
:D;)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Some body recently either asked me via PM or in a post , i cant find atm it so I will make this thread for that members and all to read--

The quick and dirty four mirror/motor RGV spiro
The four motor Spiro IMHO is not a whole lot more interesting AND not easy to keep all images from clipping- last one may have to be HUGE

Here see link- can't be found cheaper

Pocket Laser Light Show Portable Mini Laser Great Party Favor | eBay

$28 gets you two
all switches, pots, motor/mirrors (4) and two red lasers- add G & V for knife edged three colors.

so
buy two - rebuild bigger with all parts
turn into multi-color spiro-

^^^ mini version of the red laser crab I wrote about
its mirrors are dime size
these are not..they are much smaller.

yobresel makes upgrades to this
with a A-130 445 underdriven( becomes pulsed
below Constant lase threshhold IIRC.

A 405 w/ power would be trick on a GITD wall
Poor mans version of FP & Rog8811- WFTM

Jeff is bringing two to DEMO at SELEM (Aug)
one has wired RC
saw one by rog at SELEM 2010
won smallest PJ award there

hints to get what you want in the end-

as the beams go to each mirror the get bigger
& thus you see the problem of the mirrors being too small & you get clipping.
the way to avoid this are
1) The mirrors (if not already attached) do NOT need to be much off from flat- the first circle hitting the dead center of the second mirror need only to be a very small circle the smallest of all your mirror -motors.
2) to keep it small the mirrors need to be as CLOSE to each other as possible
3) if you get clipping then you need flatter mirrors or get them even closer
4) OR you can glue a new larger mirror-( round is cool but square will work.)
you may get w=away with glue a new mirror over the smaller one.

5) to combine beam the easiest is knife edgeing and it need not be perfect at all just a tight grouping of the three colors.
of course you can build one with just two motors as well but not as many patterns
do right you should have fwd and rev - and speed control manual of all the motors- and these pocket show have a PCB that steps all the motors thru all speeds and directions- so you can set the switches to that and it will run itself. IF your added laser modules have ttl you have even more options of how many colors are running at any time.

The red laser Crab was/is a larger version of these minis and combining two of them and three colors is easier -- not so tiny..and the knobs are easy to mount and turn -- on the mini its a wheel and takes more work to remove and use again..

I will post up some pics when I get time--:thanks:

hint ..for a nice 3vdc motor and FS mirrors to cut and use in spiro- grab the next Poliroid 'one- step' you see at a thrift shop- all can be found inside- pay no more that a dollar per camers-- they are lucky to get that IMO..

hak:)

Last edited:

Pman

Hey thanks for this Hak. I wanted to mess with something like this so bought a couple to try out. Might even get here pretty quick since I'm in upstate NY and they are coming from NYC.
Gives me something else inexpensive to mess with while work is slow and the $ isn't coming in. Hadn't had a chance to look over the other info. you pm'd me yet.

One easy way to stack RGB good enough for three color spiro(or LUMIA) would be to purchase the optic train from the Kasio PJs-
I sell these for 15$ plus shipping- quick way to combine with acceptable losses- possible to sub a 405 for the Blue-- to make RGV spiro.

Pman

K Hak, just got 3 (ordered a third in case I hose myself). They all work. Never had a Spiro before and must say that even with just a red they are entertaining just trying to see how many patterns I can make. Works well on my projector screen. Was just about to open one up for a look-see.
I can already tell that module is really tiny.
Keep in mind I don't know what I'm doing:)

Holy smokes that is one small module!
What I see is that the mirrors have a slight imbalance to them. The first one hit is smaller than the second. They are mounted about as close as you can get without risking a rub if the angles met. If you had another small module, it would/could fit in below the one that's there.
Measured mw was about 2 which isn't accurate with an Ophir but needless to say, it's <5mw.
Looks like all the parts are easily unscrewed other than de-soldering the battery terminal connections so taking it apart is simple enough.
Everything looks as you said in your first post.
I'm assuming when you said "if you get clipping" you are talking about the beam going off the edge of a mirror?
Need to see your pics Hak:) Also need to look at others builds so I can better see all the alignment stuff. Can See how the module is aligned to be close to the edge so you get enough "wobble" affect from the canted mirrors. Trying to think thru how positioning another module with the mirror affects the result. You would have to hit the same spot as the first one exactly to get a perfect projection match but that actually wouldn't be possible because you still have a different angle hitting it. So, the effect of more than one module all comes down to alignment/positioning/angles and how close you want the multiple beams/patterns to ultimately be spaced apart onto your projected surface.

Last edited: