Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SPIE society - Free Stuff

I just came across this site and I thought I'd share with LPF! If this is a repeat somewhere, then I apologize.

SPIE is the international society for optics and photonics founded in 1955 to advance light-based technologies.

There is a membership required to access some of their info, but they also have an "open access" portion. The Fundamentals of Photonics modules are what caught my eye, but i'm sure many of you will dig deeper in their website and find all sorts of interesting info. Enjoy! (Links = yellow text)

Open Access SPIE Publications List:
Open Access publications from SPIE are provided free to all to promote knowledge transfer, education, and awareness of technology and industry developments in optics and photonics.

SPIE Letters
Short, rapidly published peer-reviewed articles covering topics of significant originality and interest from the six SPIE journals.

Optipedia
A growing resource of encyclopedic articles on key topics in optics and photonics. All of the information, equations, and graphs were originally published in SPIE Press books.

SPIE Reviews - Forthcoming later in 2009
In-depth journal review articles on important emerging technologies. Published at no charge to readers or authors, articles will facilitate continuing professional education, provide managers with overviews in developing fields, and introduce students to fields in which they can develop careers with high impact.

SPIE Newsroom
Optics and photonics industry news and technical articles written by experts and organized by topical interest areas. Includes more than 1200 technical articles, with about 30 new articles added monthly.

SPIE Professional
SPIE delivers to Members the quarterly magazine SPIE Professional, with articles covering optics industry reports, technology overviews, career and education advice, and entrepreneurial profiles. Selected articles are made available to those who are not SPIE Members.

Fundamentals of Photonics
Tutorial modules written by experts in the photonics field with the support of the Center for Occupational Research and Development (CORD) and Scientific and Technological Education in Optics and Photonics (STEP).

ETOP - Education and Training in Optics & Photonics Conference
Papers presented at a biennial conference that brings together educators from around the world to share information about the practice of teaching optics at all levels.

Last edited:

Has anyone downloaded the Fundamentals of Photonics book yet?

I did, and I just got finished reading through the first module. I learned so much in just the first module! I think this free book will be a great resource for noobs like myself, and possibly even you Pro's out there.

I found it easy to read, and the math wasn't too difficult, either.

It's a great, fun book so far!

I skipped ahead to module 10 (Basic Principles and Applications of Holography), since I made holograms using a HeNe laser over 20 years ago in high school.

Awesome information. I love this free e-book!

LOL, you too ? ;)
Yeah. Physics class. Did it to enter the local science fair. Set it all up on a 4' x 8' plywood board on sawhorses in my grandmother's basement. LOL. It took me many attempts, but I eventually got 2 decent ones. Mixing all the developing chemicals was fun, too.

I still have them, and all the notes I took for it. One of these days maybe I'll attempt it again. It has to be more affordable now, right?

Yeah. Physics class. Did it to enter the local science fair. Set it all up on a 4' x 8' plywood board on sawhorses in my grandmother's basement. LOL. It took me many attempts, but I eventually got 2 decent ones. Mixing all the developing chemicals was fun, too.

I still have them, and all the notes I took for it. One of these days maybe I'll attempt it again. It has to be more affordable now, right?

I want to take physics....