Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spider (large pic warning)

If we keep posting pictures about horrifying looking spiders I don't think I can keep coming back to this thread if I want to sleep well at night. Just the thought of seeing one, no thanks... :D

Aren't tarantula's friendly though? :yh:

-Alex

Last edited:

Rivem

If we keep posting pictures about horrifying looking spiders I don't think I can keep coming back to this thread if I want to sleep well at night. Just the thought of seeing one, no thanks... :D

Aren't tarantula's friendly though? :yh:

-Alex

Tarantulas are definitely some of the friendlier spiders. I've only seen them in the wild twice in my life, but I guess it was a lucky day. Kinda arachnophobic myself, but seeing a wild tarantula is neat.

They're definitely the "cutest" of the other southwestern arachnids though.

Last edited:
Beautiful specimens ...!

I prefer the Tarantula and Black Widow, in addition to the other spider species​

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Most tarantulas are friendly. It depends mostly on the species. For example, a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola pulchripes) is a very docile tarantula, but don't presume the same for a Orange Baboon Tarantula a.k.a Orange Bitey Thing (Pterinochilus murinus). :p

Most tarantulas are friendly. It depends mostly on the species. For example, a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola pulchripes) is a very docile tarantula, but don't presume the same for a Orange Baboon Tarantula a.k.a Orange Bitey Thing (Pterinochilus murinus). :p

I imagine....! they are "docile" as you want, but they are always lethal animals!
Perhaps they could be used for "spider therapy" for those who are aracnophobic
IMO​

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, the first tarantula I held was a Mexican Red Rump which was used as a arachnophobia cure. I used to not like tarantulas, but since the increase in those Steotoda's (False Widows) I posted earlier and after handling the rump, I now prefer tarantulas much more than native wild spiders. The guy who cured me and my family is now a family friend. Thanks to him I now own four. :p

Last edited:
Interesting ... so were you aracnophobic? I did not know !
I like to hear that a common person has become a family friend!
So now you have 4 tarantula is correct?​

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Interesting ... so were you aracnophobic? I did not know !
I like to hear that a common person has become a family friend!
So now you have 4 tarantula is correct?​
I wouldn't go as far as to say I was myself an arachnophobe. I was the one even before to remove spiders from the house. But I wouldn't of dreamed of handling a tarantula before. And yes that is correct.
I own a Chaco Golden Knee, Chilean Rose NCF (porteri), Brazilian Black and a Honduran Curly Hair. :) I really wanted to get a Gooty Ornamental at one point.
Which is one of these:

Lycosa+tarantula+Poecilotheria+metallica.jpg

But they are expensive, fast, arboreal and have a hospitalising venom so gave it a miss for the time being. :whistle:

Last edited:
I wouldn't go as far as to say I was myself an arachnophobe. I was the one even before to remove spiders from the house. But I wouldn't of dreamed of handling a tarantula before. And yes that is correct.
I own a Chaco Golden Knee, Chilean Rose NCF (porteri), Brazilian Black and a Honduran Curly Hair. :) I really wanted to get a Gooty Ornamental at one point.
Which is one of these:

Lycosa+tarantula+Poecilotheria+metallica.jpg

But they are expensive, fast, arboreal and have a hospitalising venom so gave it a miss for the time being. :whistle:

Awesome, light blue slightly!
The perfect picture for a laser host with a 6W + inside
"Tarantula Poisonous"​

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I have a moult of this species given to me. It has a very nice metallic shine to the blue giving it it's scientific name. (Poecilotheria metallica)
It would be a good mascot. :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Lol. :D I’ve taken a couple of pics of the moult I was given. I’ll share them later. When that species are close to moulting they turn from blue to grey and purple. But when you shine light on their underside of their legs, you can see the blue and yellow markings still. :)

Cel

Awesome thread! :D

Spiders are cool! And they also kill those pesky flies and mosquitoes.

A jumping spider that was in my house:

spider1_cropped.jpg

Taking photos was very difficult, the spider was so fast! And jumpy! It can also walk on window glass.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Jumping spiders are cool. I've mainly come across the zebra variety here. :)

220px-Kaldari_Salticus_scenicus_female_01.jpg

Rivem

Yeah. I think I'm fine with the native ones like the one I posted. They're pretty docile and are like 6cm max legspan. Migrations are weird though. They like to gather up and wander in the daytime. In the parts of Colorado and NM where they're bigger, you can sometimes see them on the road which obviously isn't too good for them.