Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spectral Emission line DB

It's the damnedest thing, but went to take some beam shots of this very yellow beam and they all come out greenish. I don't see a trace of green in it, but my damned Cannon does. :(

Last edited:

It's the damnedest thing, but went to take some beam shots of this very yellow beam and they all come out greenish. I don't see a trace of green in it, but my damned Cannon does. :(

Sounds like a color correction issue :) Are you working with the raw format or some other like JPG? I wonder what it would look like through a diffraction grating?

Speaking of diffraction gratings, I took my Argon gas discharge lamp and took a picture of it with one of those cheap 1000 l/mm gratings you find on ebay and amazon (the ones that look like they go in an old slide projector). I put the grating up to my phone camera and took a picture, it looks really cool!

Attachments

• ArgonSpectrumWithLamp.jpg
    ArgonSpectrumWithLamp.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Argon_Spectrum.jpg
    Argon_Spectrum.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 14
Don't need to run it through a diffraction grating as I used my Ocean Optics USB2000+ spectrometer and it was a single narrow peak at 573.9nm. I have rounded up to 574nm for the sake of my signature. I suspect it is in the way camera detectors try to imitate single wavelengths by using combinations of red and green. It is a flawed system that works well in most cases in nature to provide colors from just three primary colors mixed in various combinations.

Don't need to run it through a diffraction grating as I used my Ocean Optics USB2000+ spectrometer and it was a single narrow peak at 573.9nm. I have rounded up to 574nm for the sake of my signature. I suspect it is in the way camera detectors try to imitate single wavelengths by using combinations of red and green. It is a flawed system that works well in most cases in nature to provide colors from just three primary colors mixed in various combinations.

Yeah, that make sense :) I had a Canon 30D back in the day, what canon do you have?