Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Spectral Emission line DB

It's the damnedest thing, but went to take some beam shots of this very yellow beam and they all come out greenish. I don't see a trace of green in it, but my damned Cannon does. :(

Last edited:

It's the damnedest thing, but went to take some beam shots of this very yellow beam and they all come out greenish. I don't see a trace of green in it, but my damned Cannon does. :(

Sounds like a color correction issue :) Are you working with the raw format or some other like JPG? I wonder what it would look like through a diffraction grating?

Speaking of diffraction gratings, I took my Argon gas discharge lamp and took a picture of it with one of those cheap 1000 l/mm gratings you find on ebay and amazon (the ones that look like they go in an old slide projector). I put the grating up to my phone camera and took a picture, it looks really cool!

Attachments

• ArgonSpectrumWithLamp.jpg
    ArgonSpectrumWithLamp.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Argon_Spectrum.jpg
    Argon_Spectrum.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 14
Don't need to run it through a diffraction grating as I used my Ocean Optics USB2000+ spectrometer and it was a single narrow peak at 573.9nm. I have rounded up to 574nm for the sake of my signature. I suspect it is in the way camera detectors try to imitate single wavelengths by using combinations of red and green. It is a flawed system that works well in most cases in nature to provide colors from just three primary colors mixed in various combinations.

Don't need to run it through a diffraction grating as I used my Ocean Optics USB2000+ spectrometer and it was a single narrow peak at 573.9nm. I have rounded up to 574nm for the sake of my signature. I suspect it is in the way camera detectors try to imitate single wavelengths by using combinations of red and green. It is a flawed system that works well in most cases in nature to provide colors from just three primary colors mixed in various combinations.

Yeah, that make sense :) I had a Canon 30D back in the day, what canon do you have?

Back