Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spaghetti Demo Version Available

vk2fro

Since the demo is meant for the laserists inhouse testing only and not designed to be used in a proper production laser show environment, why not tie the demo into the PC's hardware (e.g. cpu serial, hdd serial, nic mac address etc - pick 3 so people cant just switch and swap hardware to bypass) and allow 15 or so minutes of output to a dac. A server side check is performed before the "enable output" button engages and dac output commences, to see how much time that particular demo copy of the software has had outputting to a dac; and if the demo time has expired, an error message is displayed prompting the user to register, outlining that their time trialing the output control has been used up.

Since this is a demo for evaluation, people should not have a problem having their laser show computer connected to the net to check the validity of the trial period. At worst those running a "Clean" (not normally net connected PC) show computer would simply need to install an antivirus and a firewall, only permitting spaghetti access to the net.

The demo would still run in offline mode (but no projector control), or expired mode (once again without facility to control a dac/projector). Offline is automatically set when the program cannot detect a net connection, and expired mode is a registry key. Resetting this key simply makes the software serverside check again, resulting in the key being set back to expired as the computer has used its "output" time.

Of course leaving the output routines out of the demo is the securest way of protecting your intellectual property, as including it in the demo opens up the door for the possibility of the software to be cracked. :(

Last edited:

vk2fro

sorry carmangary I was just brainstorming software protection ideas - I wasnt suggesting you open up the demo to output to a projector. The quickshow demo is the same, much of the content is missing and it wont output to a projector. Rightly so I think, as if somebody cracks these, there going to be a loss of revenue to the creators for such a niche market.

I'm going to download the demo later and have a fiddle and see if I like it.

Things

The difference between Pangolin and Spaghetti is Spaghetti isn't locked to only 1 DAC, so if someone did crack the software, you could use it. If someone cracked QuickShow, they still couldn't get anywhere with it without a FB3.

Benm

If someone wanted to crack spaghetti, they would probably go from the full version and somehow attack the license mechanism or uncover the key generating algorithm. I doubt you'll have much to worry about though, this sort of software is probably too specific to go after.

As for demo limitations: I've seen one for an audio DSP package that fully worked, but silenced output for 5 seconds every few minutes. Such a limitation makes the program completely useless for any commercial work, but still allows people to fiddle with it and see if it is right for them, and their equipment.

Online license verification is probably not the best idea for this kind of software - i can imagine that it would be used in enviroments that don't have wifi coverage.

I wish i could try quickshow on my riya lite from drlava...stopid fb3 with its external power requirement and price.
But i bought lds and its superb:)

I wish i could try quickshow on my riya lite from drlava...stopid fb3 with its external power requirement and price.
But i bought lds and its superb:)

External power requirement? The FB3 is USB powered.. Now the price issue I can't argue with except to say that I have zero regrets about buying the FB3s that I have acquired over the last 2 years.

Having used Spaghetti and LFI player extensively I can say that they both have their place. Spaghetti became extra sweet through it's ability to make an ishow dongle work acceptably, but it lacks live control. LFI player lacks a timeline-based system, but provides live control. If you combine the two you end up with approximately the same capability as Quickshow/FB3, but with much less content and ever so slightly less output quality. The graphic quality of Pangolin products is top-notch compared to the free software options, but not by leaps and bounds. It's only slightly better.

So, when buying the Quickshow package for $595 you get a sweet DAC, State-of-the-art software, the ability to run many different projectors simultaneously (each with different output), a HEAP of frame content and live control, PLUS you can still use every single freely available .ild frame that exists.

Buying ishow and Spaghetti (total cost approx. $230), and downloading LFI player will get you a usable DAC, live control and decent software, but no frame content. You'll need to swap with people or find FTPs to establish a collection, but you won't be able to legally use the copyrighted frames that come with pro or semi-pro software packages.

Last edited:

vk2fro

damn you elecktro, you got in before me - yes FB3 is usb bus powered.

EDIT.. NVM... crazy stuff happening. I like the end result though.. too much BS in those posts.