Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space travel and humans. (Alaskan post please)

No advanced species would travel here just to eat us, I seriously doubt it, but they might want this planet.
We are in the goldilocks zone for creatures as fragile as we are and in a very stable pattern.
If they liked our gravity and a single star solar system, most are binary, then maybe they sterilize the place and move in, otherwise we are not worth the time of day.

If they can get here they can probably make whatever matter they want from energy, but who knows, maybe a fleet of castaways happen across this planet and say...It's perfect, except those ugly pest, bombard that rock with gamma rays for a week and make sure everything is sterile before we move in.

Now as far as a friendly co existence with us, LOL we are nasty aggressive vermin, destructive and shallow, we poison our own home and our bodies living out our short lives for the moment, we don't even solve our own problems when we see them coming, selfish, self serving, greedy barley evolved savages.

Maybe they will keep a few of us in a zoo, but not all in the same cage so we don't sharpen sticks and kill each other.

Last edited:

A bit off topic. Protein. Cows are eaten by many humans(beef tastes great IMHO) but the down side is forests being cleared to raise beef and they are a major source of methane gas being emitted from both ends.
Therefore, cows put one heck of a strain on the earth in several ways.
On the other hand, some countries are farming bugs for protein for human consumption and pound for pound comparison to beef it is much, much cheaper.
Crickets, Flies, Meal-worms and Locusts are the top bugs that are farmed for human consumption.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_farming

Did any of you ever see the 1973 movie "Soylent Green"? It doesn't have anything to do with aliens, but it does show what could happen in a future with overpopulation and not enough food production. In 1973 this was Sci-Fi and difficult to imagine such a world, today I can see it coming if we are not careful.

Alan

Congratulations to the U.K. And their first astronaut Tim Peake! I was just watching the launch live on Sky News, they will dock with the ISS in about 6 hours where he will spend the next 6 months!

Alan

GSS

Did any of you ever see the 1973 movie "Soylent Green"? It doesn't have anything to do with aliens, but it does show what could happen in a future with overpopulation and not enough food production. In 1973 this was Sci-Fi and difficult to imagine such a world, today I can see it coming if we are not careful.

Alan
I would probably taste pretty good. I eat way to much fattening foods

Last edited:

Teej

My thought is that life might be all over the place, but as the "place" is infinitely large, two civilizations could be so far apart that it could simply prevent them ever finding each other or even evidence of each other...

...so that FINDING life, any life, on any planet, would not be some mundane event for any civilization. It would be an exciting scientific discovery at a minimum.

As to what happens next, is anyone's guess, as we don't know what life was like where THEY evolved.

We assume we are in a goldilocks zone, because we assume that because WE grew up in this neighborhood, it must be perfect for life.

On some other planet, say where oxygen is toxic, the way it used to be on earth...and still is for some wee critters, earth might be a dangerous and forbidding planet where the creatures breath toxic gases and protect themselves with a ring of debris to damage any incoming craft, have a strong magnetic field that interferes with their metabolism, and is covered with vast expanses of a strong polar solvent that dissolves most substances.

It is so cold that the metal fluids needed to run the life support systems freeze into solids.

It is a hellish and unfriendly to life planet.

Or

Oh, look, its practically crawling with yummy bipeds!

:drool:

I would like to post a correction: Earlier I said that Maj. Tim Peake is the first astronaut from the U.K. That is what some of the press is saying, but as happens so often they are reporting wrong info. Dr. Helen Patricia Sharman, a British chemist was the first one when she visited the Mir space station in 1991. Time in space was 7d 21h 13m, Maj. Tim Peake will be up there for a full 6 months.

Teej I think you're right, I think most of us expect them to be humanoid, maybe not look like us but something at least remotely similar, but there's no telling what could be out there. We may find life where we don't expect it. Remember those things from the Alien series of movies? Let's hope there's nothing like that near by.

Alan

A bit off topic. Protein. Cows are eaten by many humans(beef tastes great IMHO) but the down side is forests being cleared to raise beef and they are a major source of methane gas being emitted from both ends.

We are currently within a warm interval within a nearly 2 million year period of ice ages. During the last 5-6 million years the average temperature has dropped about 6C. About 50 million years ago the temperature was more than 10C - 15C warmer. A little more methane might not be so bad. I prefer a Porterhouse when I can.

Therefore, cows put one heck of a strain on the earth in several ways.

We are currently within a warm interval within a nearly 2 million year period of ice ages. During the last 5-6 million years the average temperature has dropped about 6C. About 50 million years ago the temperature was more than 10C - 15C warmer. A little more methane might not be so bad. I prefer a Porterhouse when I can.

In Germany in January of 2014 there was an explosion in a barn with dairy cows, poor ventilation caused a build up of methane gas and static electricity ignited it.

What about us humans? How much methane do 7 billion humans produce? A can of chile and a six pack of beer can also have a high explosive yield. :crackup: I am sure humans also put a strain on the earth in several ways. Should we limit the number of humans? Some people think so. Perhaps we should be required to limit our intake of foods that cause gas, or maybe have to pay a carbon tax based on what we eat. All our food purchases could go into a database where a computer could estimate how much flatulence we will have based on our eating habits and then we could be taxed on it.

Alan

Edit: In 2008 in West Virginia a man arrested for drunk driving was charged with assaulting a police officer when he farted in his direction. So don't fart around cops.

http://youtu.be/pT8Wr_TPpfA

Spacecraft don't have much space inside, I wonder if the CO2 scrubbers they install in all spacecraft can also handle methane?

Last edited: