Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space Discussion Thread

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Looks like the same team that captured that amazing image of the M87 Supermassive black hole have also now captured an image of Sagittarius A*.

lossy-page1-1024px-EHT_Saggitarius_A_black_hole.tif.jpg

Something interesting.

also a lunar eclipse on the 16th

sky and telescope news

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Looks like the first full image from the James Webb space telescope will be coming tomorrow:

There will be an event at 5PM ET tomorrow for the reveal:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
The first full image from the James Webb telescope, of the galaxy cluster SMACS 0723!

main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Wow, some more images are being released this morning, including this amazing view of the Southern Ring Nebula:

main_image_stellar_death_s_ring_miri_nircam_sidebyside-5mb.jpg

JSmith

It still completely blows my mind that all these lights are whole other galaxies, there must be life out there somewhere!

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
It still completely blows my mind that all these lights are whole other galaxies, there must be life out there somewhere!
It still completely blows my mind how you spammers love to spam.

Darn, looks the first SLS launch has been postponed.

I'm just glad we are finally going back even though this is an unmanned mission, but with the possibilities of mining helium-3 things could get interesting.

Here's something else interesting, it's not space aviation, but flying cars in China will be a real thing.

It seems far more likely that this ride shearing service that is on par with the U.S.'s timetable will just be small aircraft that already exist now. I wouldn't expect to see flying cars in just three years.

GeorgeJetsonFlyCar.jpg

If you're fixated on the word " car " then try to comprehend that I was using " car " as a general term for " vehicle " in the context that I used it, which is not unusual when people refer to " flying cars " of or in the future, most people I expect envision something like the bubble top wheelless vehicle George Jetson flew. ( See image of Jetsons " flying car " above. )

However as for flying cars based upon the root word " carriage " denoting a wheeled vehicle, while you may not expect it they already exist.

That said the flying taxi the article refers to would likely be a multirotor type and may or may not have wheels, but being a taxi I expect it just might have wheels to maneuver once it lands, so they may be more carriage like that you think.

I'm looking forward to seeing it too and the Artemis II mission later, that said I would rather they be extra cautious than have a disaster, hydrogen in the presence of oxygen can make for a very brisant (((( KA-BOOM ))))

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, definitely better to take as many attempts as needed rather than have it blow up or something. Wonder what happens to the fuel when the launch gets cancelled like this. Guess they can defuel the rocket and store the fuel in some tanks nearby for the next launch?