Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space Discussion Thread

I saw that the Mars helicopter failed to fly. They are going to try again tomorrow, I think.

I saw that the Mars helicopter failed to fly. They are going to try again tomorrow, I think.
Oh no! come on little heli-drone! :eek:

They probably tried with it with an under-speed pre-test and will ramp it up with each test until it gets airborne? :unsure:

I replaced the video will this because the first video was just clickbait...

Last edited:
NASA said the first test flight will happen no earlier than April 14 because it failed the first high-speed spin test... :(

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'm very happy to see that it worked. What an accomplishment, can't wait to see what the future holds.

I can imagine some day in the future, someone will have climbed that hill in the background and be standing up there with their friends and they'll point down at that location and note that that was the location of the first powered flight off of Earth. :D

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
What a lovely thing to imagine, years ago would of been impossible. But its now looking more and more likely as the years go on.
I wish to be alive when the first person steps foot on Mars. That would be huge for this planet.

Encap

I can imagine some day in the future, someone will have climbed that hill in the background and be standing up there with their friends and they'll point down at that location and note that that was the location of the first powered flight off of Earth. :D
Perhaps with unlimited billions perhaps trillions of $s it might come true. Hard to see value for dollars required when human conditons on earth are so what they are these days, however.
The helicopter was a stunning feat and a successful quest for sure. Not low costs but not seriously high cost.
The Mars helicopter/dronealone cost $80,000,000 to build and 5,000,000 to operate.
Perserverance costs were about $2.75 Billion but in context about the same as Disney’s global box office revenue for Avengers or the amount of money Google makes in 6 days.
So the cost of NASA's Perseverance rover is less than many might think.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Perhaps with unlimited billions perhaps trillions of $s it might come true. Hard to see value for dollars required when human conditons on earth are so what they are these days, however.
The helicopter was a stunning feat and a successful quest for sure. Not low costs but not seriously high cost.
The Mars helicopter/dronealone cost $80,000,000 to build and 5,000,000 to operate.
Perserverance costs were about $2.75 Billion but in context about the same as Disney’s global box office revenue for Avengers or the amount of money Google makes in 6 days.
So the cost of NASA's Perseverance rover is less than many might think.
Exactly. Good way to put things in perspective. Problem with society these days is that entertainment is valued more than scientific achievement.

I can envision one day in the future large quadcopters scouring the surface of Mars and looking for evidence that the planet once had life! :unsure: