Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space Discussion Thread

It would probably be great to have a universal way of communicating at the speed of light. But, even this would not guarantee us the opportunity to communicate with extraterrestrial civilizations. Since they really can be at such distances (if they, of course, exist) that are inaccessible for our lifetime.
Now we cannot even instantly communicate with each other on our planet. Although many companies are trying very hard.
I wonder how much satellites could help in achieving fast interplanetary (at least) communication?
Radio waves travel at the speed of light.
My point about making the trip to somewhere like Alpha Centuri is IF we could perfect quantum communications and had someone to talk to there, then we could in theory send messages/images/video at faster than light speed by modulating entangled particles, this would also be digital and in theory not require any real power, if we could perfect quantum communications via. entangled particle modulation we could talk to people on the opposite side of the Earth, in submarines, on the moon, ect... instantly, digitally, without any need for encription or powerful transmitters.......I have serious doubts about the spooky actions at a distance of entangled particles being useful in this way or over great distances, but it would be a big leap forward and lead to more as we learn why this works this way and build on that knowledge.

TomaJo

Recently there was a claim that the Chinese moon rover had discovered a strange monolith. Scientists speculate that the unusual object could be debris from a crater that appeared as a result of a collision with the moon. A rock about 1 kilometre high was discovered on the "dark side" of the moon. Exposure to wind and heat cycles on the Moon usually leads to the destruction of sharp corners and "rounding" of objects on the satellite. And the detected object has very sharp edges.

TomaJo

Russia announced it has signed a memorandum of understanding with China on the ILRS. International Lunar Research Station.
The date of signing the above-mentioned memorandum has not yet been determined and is currently being discussed with Chinese partners.
The European Space Agency also recently signed a memorandum of understanding with NASA on Gateway.

For all the money we have wasted over the decades since Apollo we could have done so much more, still it's great to see us doing something.

gazer101

Radio waves travel at the speed of light.
My point about making the trip to somewhere like Alpha Centuri is IF we could perfect quantum communications and had someone to talk to there, then we could in theory send messages/images/video at faster than light speed by modulating entangled particles, this would also be digital and in theory not require any real power, if we could perfect quantum communications via. entangled particle modulation we could talk to people on the opposite side of the Earth, in submarines, on the moon, ect... instantly, digitally, without any need for encription or powerful transmitters.......I have serious doubts about the spooky actions at a distance of entangled particles being useful in this way or over great distances, but it would be a big leap forward and lead to more as we learn why this works this way and build on that knowledge.
The problem is that the actual entanglement of the particles relies on isolation, and the spin is random until measured (removed from isolation)... so there would be no way to encode any useful information with it. Yes the entanglement is out to infinity, but you can't just isolate one spin and make a bit system: https://www.forbes.com/sites/chador...ter-than-light-communication/?sh=5e4765c63a1e

Mind you I don't believe a lot of this quantum theory, but it is interesting to imagine what if, still I will believe it when I see it actually working, until then we can find articles that express opinion either pro or con.

TomaJo

Mind you I don't believe a lot of this quantum theory, but it is interesting to imagine what if, still I will believe it when I see it actually working, until then we can find articles that express opinion either pro or con.
Even if it works, only scientists who understand what to do with it will be used. That is less than 1 percent of 1 percent of the people on the planet.
I hope they succeed and use their discoveries for something outstanding.

TomaJo

firstpreseverance.jpg
Have you watched the landing of Perseverance? It went well.
The first photo has already been published. Did you expect more from the first live landing broadcast? (I expected more visual information during the broadcast)

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Very cool image of it actually landing on the Martian surface:

8866_1-PIA24428-1280.jpg

And a closer look at some of the weird looking rocks around the lander's wheels:

_117094230_realwheel.jpg

Last edited:
There will be many more high definition color photographs coming back in the near future too. The ones I've seen so far are very intriguing.

EDIT:

Last edited: