Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Space Discussion Thread

Jim H

I highly recommend the SuspiciousObservers YouTube videos for anyone interested in space, our sun and planet. Ben, who runs it, has been well ahead of the curve on several fronts such as earthquake prediction, climate and space topics in general.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Some very sad news, after several cables had snapped in the last couple months, the Arecibo Radio Telescope totally collapsed this morning.

Before and after pictures. :cry: Looks like at least one of the towers partially collapsed to.

EoMhDVhXEAA5Y-1

EoMhGyyWEAEaE1w

EoMehk2VEAMTdiR

Last edited:

TomaJo

Good news for you! Arecibo was not abandoned. At the end of last year, a reconstruction decree was signed.
Scientists propose a project consisting of 1000 9-meter plates on a flat 300-meter platform. Their task is to meet the budget of up to $ 400 million.
If the project is completed, then such a structure will cover a strip 500 times wider than Arecibo.
Next Generation Arecibo Telescope will also be 2x more sensitive.

ISS Sapcewalks are on live stream atm :

EDIT
ISS current location:

Last edited:

TomaJo

Intuitive Machines is about to participate in the Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) project. The company is accepting payload applications aboard their Nova-C lander. The Nova-C will carry a camera, several racing moon rovers, and another payload.
The company did not initially position itself as a space company. But now their plans are to become the first private company to land on the moon.
The first mission is planned for October 2021.
One of the main goals of the mission is to get more people interested in space exploration. (To get more engineers in the future?)

TomaJo

Virgin Orbit has launched an orbital rocket from a plane into space. The launch was made from under the wing of an upgraded Boeing 747 aircraft.
Such launches were possible back in 1990.
Virgin Orbit has virtually no competitors in such launches.
I wonder if this could be a new way for other companies to launch small satellites?

There's enough trash orbiting our planet already, don't need everyone sending their dead cat's/dog's ashes into space.......I can just imagine space fireworks.......well son of a bitch, here it is......This could easily end up adding to our space junk problem.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
True Paul, however we are closer than we’ve ever been with SpaceX.

Robert, I was thinking more in terms of building space stations and interstellar craft. I agree we need to limit how much we are putting into orbit.

Space stations and interstellar craft sound good to me, I was more concerned about developing nations and what damage they could cause when space access gets too cheap, however I like the little cube sats that allow more people to get involved affordablly.

TomaJo

Space stations and interstellar craft sound good to me, I was more concerned about developing nations and what damage they could cause when space access gets too cheap, however I like the little cube sats that allow more people to get involved affordablly.

This is overkill.
Why is this needed?
Yes, there was a proposal from this country to make a wooden satellite. (Hardly better than traditional satellites)
A little more and there will be serious proposals to make delivery through low levels of the orbit.

TomaJo

Yesterday SpaceX announced another fully touring mission called Inspiration 4. According to the schedule, the mission is scheduled for the 4th quarter of this year. The mission is to inspire people to support the St. Jude Children's Hospital. Fulfil Isaacman's childhood dream. And also contribute to the fight against cancer on Earth.

TomaJo

NASA is putting on hold its plan to select a company to develop lunar landers.
The postponement for development companies seems rather strange.
Does this mean that the Artemis mission can be postponed as well?
Or maybe cancelled altogether.
The article is on space com

What do you think? Is there something alarming here?