Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony 6W IR Laser Diode

Attachments

• 3NT8ICAHIMS9KCA8567C3CACNQT5NCA0MG5S7CAKI723ICAC8R6LGCA1YVT55CA1V3QAMCAJARUH3CA09R0VKCAUA5I0LCAB.jpg
    3NT8ICAHIMS9KCA8567C3CACNQT5NCA0MG5S7CAKI723ICAC8R6LGCA1YVT55CA1V3QAMCAJARUH3CA09R0VKCAUA5I0LCAB.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,159

The custom driver needed for it would be incredibly expensive, not to mention that diode probably costs several hundred to several thousand dollars. I believe there is also a TEC in that specific package and several sensors, due to there being nine pins. It would take a lot of work and money to make that thing portable, not to mention the optics you'd need to collimate it to a smaller line.

Edit: Just took a glance at the .pdf, and there is indeed a TEC inside there, so you'd have to deal with that also.

.3lite

The custom driver needed for it would be incredibly expensive, not to mention that diode probably costs several hundred to several thousand dollars. I believe there is also a TEC in that specific package and several sensors, due to there being nine pins. It would take a lot of work and money to make that thing portable, not to mention the optics you'd need to collimate it to a smaller line.

Edit: Just took a glance at the .pdf, and there is indeed a TEC inside there, so you'd have to deal with that also.

"incredible expensive"? That's not true, the simpliest driver to provide 7A would cost about 15$ or less(not sure about cost of components in the USA), the second driver for TEC using built in thermistor to stay at constant temperature also wouldn't be a problem, so in the conclusion - there won't be any problems with driving this diode, but you are right - most likely it will be hell expensive (diode).

A good, high quality custom driver would cost a fair bit of money. Maybe I was a bit over zealous with the 'extremely expensive' bit. You're still looking at a lot of money for a portable laser that would probably see very little use.

.3lite

A good, high quality custom driver would cost a fair bit of money. Maybe I was a bit over zealous with the 'extremely expensive' bit. You're still looking at a lot of money for a portable laser that would probably see very little use.

ohh sorry, I didn't notice that he wants it for portable laser :p Nevermind then.

It would be easier to use a C-mount.
Highest power available (that I am aware of) is 7W.

Is it possible to build a driver for any diode?

For an 8w c-mount instead of that Sony above http://www.innolume.com/_pdfs/laserchips/LD-1064-BA-8W.pdf

It is 1.5A and 10A. If one were to build a driver for this or order a custom one how do you go about it?

PS - Why is c-mount better than that Sony?

I'm not highly competent in the physics so if someone could explain clearly that would be awesome.

I tried looking for drivers and guides and but can't seem to find what I'm after.

I'm on a funky learning curve!

No matter how much research I do, as soon as I feel close to the moment it all begins to harmoniously fit, I get thumped by a whole new area of electronics, rendering me baffled and slightly shaken.

Anyway I am convinced I have neglected a critical and essential factor in this project, as is expected of a n00b. I welcome the rolling of eyes as I have done the same in areas where I am more competent.

But regarding that Sony 6W diode.

I imagine something to regulate voltage and current is what is needed to protect the diode. Does a driver need to do anything else? I need to know this so I don't waste time.:undecided:

If that being the case, would this not suffice?

Integrated Circuits from Rapid

And would this battery not suffice?

3.6V D Size R20 Lithium Battery (ER34615 / LS33600) | Lithium Batteries | Our shop | Microbatt UK Ltd | BT Tradespace

If not explain why, so I can better focus my reading.

Thank You!

Last edited:
But I also really would like to build a driver/constant current source/voltage regulator.

The thought of crafting a circuit for a laser is so much more appealing than buying a readymade part. Uniquely made, one of a kind.

BUMP!

Any views on the above battery and controller?

Is there anyone who has lots of experience that could pm their msn address, I think a 10-15 minute chat in real time could answer more than the forum at this rate!

Oh I've decided to opt for a c-mount 7W.

It must be portable, but not necessarily cylindrical. I just want to get the circuitry and assembly right, I'll do the rest. The laser will be operated for no more than 10s intervals.

A basic heatsink should be adequate IMO.

I've tried looking around for detailed descriptions of c-mount laser diodes.

I read a post which did just that, but an added diagram would have been great.

The c-mount has a tail and a hole in the square. I assume the laser is on the opposite side of the tail end? Also does the entire part need to be housed/protected or just one side.

How would you fit a lense on? Let alone a beam expander. Depends on host I suppose.

During my build I'm going to test it first on cheaper diodes, of various powers. Measure all current and voltage spikes. Will even deliberately try to break one so I know my equations are sound.

I'm tempted to get a module or handheld 2-3 watt.

But where's the fun in that.

Make sure you've got proper goggles for the IR range of this diode. On a C-Mount diode, the top of the square is where the die is. It's in the middle and very, very fragile. You don't fit a lens to the diode, you position one in front of it. You would need to heatsink the entire back side of the diode. Might I ask what C-Mount you're going to use? (I.E. a link to it :thanks:)

Edit: For a driver for several amps of current, I suggest the FlexMod from drlava, I'm not sure of the maximum current it can provide, but it can do enough to give you several watts of output power.

Last edited: