Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony 20x burners $24 at Newegg

jayrob

The output of the Pioneer diodes are ~250mw's using the exact same configuration...the only item that was different was the lens.

This is good stuff Gazoo. One question, your Pioneer diode, running at 250mW, with 350mA current is using the glass lens? Or, acrylic? We do know from our other testing that the glass lens puts out more. As you know, I have two Pioneer 112D's, each at around 420mA. The difference between them is the lens. The Meredith glass is over 300mW, and the AixiZ acrylic is 247mW. But if you think that you are getting more power because of the Sony diode! Well now, that's VERY interesting...
Jay

danq

Gazoo said:
However the removal of the diode is the very easiest I have ever come across. If anyone gets this drive, simply remove the glue from the base of the diode. You will see a place on one edge of the base of the diode where you can pry it up. Just be careful not to let whatever you are prying with slip inwards as this could destroy the diode. I found once I got the diode lifted up on one side I was able to remove it with my fingers. That's how easy it is. There is no need to take the assembly apart and no need to do any cutting on the heatsink...very sweet.
Yes, that's what I experienced too... but watch out when prying, don't let it tilt too much to one side - the exposed parts of the diode get perilously close to the holder as it's angling up/out... very nearly damaged mine that way.

Thanks Gazoo for the test / comparison - this one looks like a winner all 'round so far.
(but it's still nuts that the most economical way to get 'em is to buy a new unit) :p

DanQ

Gazoo

jayrob said:
The output of the Pioneer diodes are ~250mw's using the exact same configuration...the only item that was different was the lens.

This is good stuff Gazoo. One question, your Pioneer diode, running at 250mW, with 350mA current is using the glass lens? Or, acrylic? We do know from our other testing that the glass lens puts out more. As you know, I have two Pioneer 112D's, each at around 420mA. The difference between them is the lens. The Meredith glass is over 300mW, and the AixiZ acrylic is 247mW. But if you think that you are getting more power because of the Sony diode! Well now, that's VERY interesting...
Jay

Jay, The Pioneer diode was tested with a glass lens. Remember, this one has been shipped out to a friend and was used in my first MXDL build.

Later today I will swap the Sony diode with the one I still have from the 112D. The configuration will be exactly the same, lens and all. Then we will know if the Sony diode is putting out more mw's, or if it is the new glass lens making the difference. If the diode is actually putting out more mw's, then I will be very tempted to hook it up to that labby I built and will try it with 420ma's.

danq, thanks for the tip and explaining it. Also I do thank you for starting this thread....I agree it is a shame to waste DVD burners, but for now there is no other way.

phenol

Gazoo, what is the IR diode in this Sony drive - windowless, open can, frame type....? Would it be easily extractable?

jayrob

You really got my curiosity up Gazoo. So, I had to change out the diode in my MXDL 300, and put the Sony diode in there. I got a measurement of 289.4mW @ 421mA with the glass lens. (fresh charged batteries) So, it seems to be about the same as the Pioneer. For this diode anyway. Sounds like your diode is HOTTER, since you got 280mW @ 350mA. I am looking forward to learn what your measurements are at 420mA...
Jay

Gazoo

phenol said:
Gazoo, what is the IR diode in this Sony drive - windowless, open can, frame type....? Would it be easily extractable?

I can't tell if it is windowless because there is a lens deep within its assembly covering the whole top of the diode, but it is a can. It is so far recessed into the heatsink it would take a dremel to get it out.

Gazoo

I swapped the diodes and the highest reading I was able to get with the Pioneer diode was 267.1mw's as compared with the 280.1 mw's for my Sony diode.

Those of us that have the LPM-1 know there is a sweet spot on the sensor which will give the highest readings. I did everything I could to get the highest reading possible with the Pioneer diode. Therefore there is no doubt my Sony diode is putting out a few more mw's than my Pioneer diode.

Jay, I think my Sony diode will be comparable to your MXDL 309mw. From our testing I think we can conclude the Pioneer and Sony diodes are the same, but some are a bit more hot than others. There is no doubt my Sony diode is the hottest open can I have had since I have been able to test them with the LPM-1.

jayrob

Gazoo said:
I swapped the diodes and the highest reading I was able to get with the Pioneer diode was 267.1mw's as compared with the 280.1 mw's for my Sony diode.

Those of us that have the LPM-1 know there is a sweet spot on the sensor which will give the highest readings. I did everything I could to get the highest reading possible with the Pioneer diode. Therefore there is no doubt my Sony diode is putting out a few more mw's than my Pioneer diode.

Jay, I think my Sony diode will be comparable to your MXDL 309mw. From our testing I think we can conclude the Pioneer and Sony diodes are the same, but some are a bit more hot than others. There is no doubt my Sony diode is the hottest open can I have had since I have been able to test them with the LPM-1.

Yeah...I have noticed that the Senkat diodes have slight differences as well. I don't think I have any of the 'JL' ones I have read about. Sounds like you have a real nice open can diode there Gazoo! Well, your heatsink is in route! I sure want to hear about it. Even more so, if you are planning on using a 2.4 ohm resistor!. By the way, I did find some 2.7 ohm, 1 watt resistors and ordered them...that should give me around 463mA's. As cheap as we are getting these open cans for (and how sturdy they seem to be), why not push them a little more huh?
Jay

Gazoo

Well I decided to try the Sony diode out on my labby power supply. My Radio Shack rheostats get really finicky and hard to adjust for set currents at higher currents. With 425ma's I was able to get 316.6mw's! So I decided to bump the current up to 500ma's.. ;D I read an astonishing 361.4mw's on my LPM-1 ! I know I could easily get 400mw's out of this diode if I wanted to risk it. Remember the most I was able to get out of my 112D diode was around 350mw's running at 600ma's.

chido

Holy crap, :eek: I'm assuming your labby had a glass lens, how much do you think you'd get from the diode at the same current with an acrylic lens?

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Well I decided to try the Sony diode out on my labby power supply. My Radio Shack rheostats get really finicky and hard to adjust for set currents at higher currents. With 425ma's I was able to get 316.6mw's! So I decided to bump the current up to 500ma's.. ;D I read an astonishing 361.4mw's on my LPM-1 ! I know I could easily get 400mw's out of this diode if I wanted to risk it. Remember the most I was able to get out of my 112D diode was around 350mw's running at 600ma's.

That's an extra HOT diode alright! Remember I pushed one of my Pioneer LD's in my Ice Box with the TEC to 586mA's and got a peak reading of 395mWs'? But that reading happened immediately, as soon as I flipped the switch on. It quickly settled in at 365mW's. If your getting over 360mW's at only 500mA's, that's awesome!
Jay

I think the diodes are the same at some point, then BAM, the sont has a better "bell" curve...

ME TEMPTED!!
short on the dough though, that coherent thermopile has left me penniless....

oh and i know this is off topic, but I resurrected my MXDL from the dead :eek: [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif], and I took some vids of it, uploading to youtube as I type

Gazoo

chido said:
Holy crap, :eek: I'm assuming your labby had a glass lens, how much do you think you'd get from the diode at the same current with an acrylic lens?

There is a 50-60mw difference between the lenses. I used the same module for all the tests.

Gazoo

jayrob said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1202158967/30#40 date=1202699708]Well I decided to try the Sony diode out on my labby power supply. My Radio Shack rheostats get really finicky and hard to adjust for set currents at higher currents. With 425ma's I was able to get 316.6mw's! So I decided to bump the current up to 500ma's.. ;D I read an astonishing 361.4mw's on my LPM-1 ! I know I could easily get 400mw's out of this diode if I wanted to risk it. Remember the most I was able to get out of my 112D diode was around 350mw's running at 600ma's.

That's an extra HOT diode alright! Remember I pushed one of my Pioneer LD's in my Ice Box with the TEC to 586mA's and got a peak reading of 395mWs'? But that reading happened immediately, as soon as I flipped the switch on. It quickly settled in at 365mW's. If your getting over 360mW's at only 500mA's, that's awesome!
Jay[/quote]

Yup, I remember. And I am still going to beat your 395mw's...lol. I am really tempted to run 600ma's into the diode. What do you think the output would be with 600ma's?

Added..Ok I couldn't stand it. I put 570ma's into the diode and ended up with 408.8mw's.... ;D It was stable too for the 30 seconds or so I was testing it. And I thought 350mw's was awesome.

jayrob

Lol! Well Gazoo, I must concede to you. I mean, I'm sure I could 'get you back', lol. But, really, you deserve the acknowledgement. Besides, if we keep going back and forth, we're going fry our diodes. Congratulations!
Jay

Gazoo said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1202158967/30#42 date=1202702859][quote author=Gazoo link=1202158967/30#40 date=1202699708]Well I decided to try the Sony diode out on my labby power supply. My Radio Shack rheostats get really finicky and hard to adjust for set currents at higher currents. With 425ma's I was able to get 316.6mw's! So I decided to bump the current up to 500ma's.. ;D I read an astonishing 361.4mw's on my LPM-1 ! I know I could easily get 400mw's out of this diode if I wanted to risk it. Remember the most I was able to get out of my 112D diode was around 350mw's running at 600ma's.

Jay[/quote]

Yup, I remember. And I am still going to beat your 395mw's...lol. I am really tempted to run 600ma's into the diode. What do you think the output would be with 600ma's?

Added..Ok I couldn't stand it. I put 570ma's into the diode and ended up with 408.8mw's.... ;D It was stable too for the 30 seconds or so I was testing it. And I thought 350mw's was awesome.
[/quote]

it started ot modez hops after 30 secs??

400mW man, I dont even think the phazor diodes hit that much....
but 570 is a hard target to reach without killza cooling....