Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony 20x burners $24 at Newegg

danq

... with free shipping!

just saw this... these are really easy to disassemble (open-can diode).

DanQ

chido

spyrorocks said:
Still doesn't quite beat senkat's pre-installed diode price.
It might not beat the price, but an open can is capable of outputting 250mW with a plastic lens, 300mW with a glass lens and still have a decent life. :eek:

danq

chido said:
It might not beat the price, but an open can is capable of outputting 250mW with a plastic lens, 300mW with a glass lens and still have a decent life. :eek:
yeah... at this price you could... well, Watt the heck? I bought 4 of 'em ;)

Gazoo

LOL...so you are saying the diodes are fairly easy to harvest out of this drive? I might just have to get a couple of these.

i ordered one of these babies a month ago for use in my computer (I took apart my previous DVD burner and killed the diode, and my computer was lacking a DVD burner)

overall good drive, I even reviewed it (heh) but I am not taking this baby apart anytime soon...

danq

amkdeath said:
i ordered one of these babies a month ago for use in my computer (I took apart my previous DVD burner and killed the diode, and my computer was lacking a DVD burner)

overall good drive, I even reviewed it (heh) but I am not taking this baby apart anytime soon...
hmmm... that gives me an idea:

We are being kind of wasteful, aren't we? These things could be doing double-duty! How about modding that critter so you can click an icon on your computer, and a mirror drops down and reflects the beam out of the DVD burner... and the power and focus become adjustable with on-screen slider controls!
;D
Another click, and it switches back into DVD mode...

Now if I just had an extra week or two, or a clone... ::)

DanQ

danq said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1202158967/0#6 date=1202184555]i ordered one of these babies a month ago for use in my computer (I took apart my previous DVD burner and killed the diode, and my computer was lacking a DVD burner)

hmmm... that gives me an idea:

We are being kind of wasteful, aren't we? These things could be doing double-duty! How about modding that critter so you can click an icon on your computer, and a mirror drops down and reflects the beam out of the DVD burner... and the power and focus become adjustable with on-screen slider controls!
;D
Another click, and it switches back into DVD mode...

Now if I just had an extra week or two, or a clone...  ::)

DanQ [/quote]

my baby sister (2 and half) already screwed my previoius drive over, and know how to eject these things :-/ that idea would blind her for sure...

danq

amkdeath said:
my baby sister (2 and half) already screwed my previoius drive over, and know how to eject these things :-/ that idea would blind her for sure...
heh... that's the beauty of having it in the computer... no-op without the admin password ;)

man jay, did you like find a lost aztec city made out of gold or something?? you just recently ordered a 300 dollar diode, and are still goin! I wish I had that kind of money LOL... ;D

anyhow, I like all the NEC drives as DVD burners, cheap (relatively) and they work, itsjust theyre all OEM, so... my drive also makes a lot of noise...

hope yall happy building, I for one hate extracting DVD burner diodes, being a DIY computer geek, i feel like im wasting the drive, and its painful, especially when I kill the diode in the end :'(
thats why I go with either OEM diodes, (senkat), or I buy already extracted diodes (TheMonk)

regards,

amk

jayrob

man jay, did you like find a lost aztec city made out of gold or something?? you just recently ordered a 300 dollar diode, and are still goin!

Lol! In reality, 'I owe, I owe, so off to work I go'... My wife would kill me if she knew what I am really spending on lasers...
Jay

jayrob said:
man jay, did you like find a lost aztec city made out of gold or something?? you just recently ordered a 300 dollar diode, and are still goin!

Lol! In reality, 'I owe, I owe, so off to work I go'... My wife would kill me if she knew what I am really spending on lasers...
Jay

lmao ;D

nice

drlava

have a look at this pic:

which open can diode is in it (actual diode chip length)?

Gazoo

drlava said:
have a look at this pic:

which open can diode is in it (actual diode chip length)?

So far it has been my experience that all open cans are the same no matter what drive they come out of. Have you found anything different? For example, I compared a Pioneer 112D open can diode with a 115D diode and they were almost exactly the same electrically. They each were tested with 350ma's and the voltage across them was the same at 2.8 volts, and the output was the same. I did receive the Sony burners today but have not yet harvested the diode.

I do see the differences in the chip lengths in your photos. Where did you get those diodes?