Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

someone tell me if this is all ok....

ok i got my host ready, after doing some mods to it i've got it to fit 2x lithium 3.6v batteries in it (the small fat ones for cameras)
and i am waiting on my rckstr 250mw fixed driver and the 16x sony diode from jake21, he said he tested them at 250, so i just want to make sure i'm not going to burn everything up when i plug the 7.2v into it.
also, i want to get the right amount of power so that the diode will last. i think the minimum was like 5.2? somewhere around that, am i going to need some kind of heat sink because of the extra 2v?
I don't plan on running the laser for more then 15-20 seconds at a time.

this is my first ever laser so i am trying to do it right......don't want to end up buying 10 diodes at $20 a pop

the driver regulates the power going to the diode and 7.2 volts or 12 volts it doesnt matter that driver can handle it.
since he set it at 250ma then thats all the diode will get and no need to worry about to much power from the battery as long as its more than 5 volts and less than 12

what kind of diode are you using? im guessing a 16x red?

and either way a heat sink would be the best idea especially if your mounting it in a flashlight, what are you using for the host?

yeah i bought the diode and driver you recommended to me a while back, it was a sony 16x red from jake21 and the rckstr driver,
i'm using a flashlight as a host.
just looked at rckstr's website and it says he is not taking orders, so now i am kinda worried about whether or not my dirver is even being sent.
is there a dfferent place to buy a drive that you know of? i'd rather buy another one just to make sure....guess i'll have an extra one if he does end up sending it.

if you already paid i can pretty much guarantee he will ship it.

he is starting school again and is going to be really busy so not to many new orders will be allowed.

but the flex drive by drlava is a great driver as well.

a simple email to him would verify this.

what host are you using? mxdl? do you have a picture or link.

at 250 you could get away with using a few washers as your heat sink but you will have a shorter duty cycle than if you had an aluminum heat sink.

lol nah i am using a LED/laser pointer flashlight i bought at a gas station for $5.99, it has nice space for working rom to put everything inside of it.
first.JPG

second.JPG

i replaces that little plastic thing that held 3xAAA with 2x energizer lithium photo batteries, which looking at them now, they are 3.0v, not 3.6
so i guess it will be 6v and not 7.2

also that groove driver will NOT fit in your flashlight.

i have made it dit in the bigger mxdl flashlights but that was another job in its own.

plus you have to assemble the groove. but its a good driver for the price.

get the flex drive and then you can also just use the 3 AAA bateries again.