Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some questions on 1W 650nm

Hello,
Sense my laser addiction started, the holy grail of what I was looking for was a high powered 650nm as well as a high powered 532nm, I have gotten the high powered 532nm now it's time for the 650nm, so when the second round of the skylasers groupbuy popped up I jumped on it :D although it is going to drain my bank account :( SO onto the questions, I searched google, the forums and youtube but could not find a definitive answer to any of these.

1. How will a 1W 650nm burn compared to a 1W 445nm or 400mW 532nm? I know that the wavelength determines its burning capability almost as much (or just as much as) it's brightness, but because there is really no measurment to burning power I was unable to find a calculator of sorts

2. What kind of divergence will it have? I had a 300mW 638nm a month or so ago and the divergence was so bad I ended up just selling it it will not be that bad right ? :(

3. Will these goggles suffice? I'm 99% sure they will :D

4. How fast do these diodes heat up? Will I need to worry about a duty cycle like with my 445nm or will it be fine being on for 5mins like my 532nm(This laser)?

4. And lastly how bright will it be? I know about the calculator but I have found it not to be super accurate at least to the human eye anyways because I am pretty sure my 400mW 532nm is not 5-10 times brighter than my 1.2W 445nm in fact they are pretty much equal in my eyes.

the PL650 can be found here
:thanks: for any input

A 1W 650nm laser will burn just as well as a 1W 445nm laser or a 1W green laser or any wavelength laser for that matter.
Power is power. 1W = 1W.
The only difference you will notice is that the red laser won't always burn the same color objects as another laser.
To make it more effective for burning, all you have to do is increase the power density (focus it).

This question (1) gets asked a lot and usually the answer is the same.

Last edited:

Blord

The 1 Watt 650nm diode is multimode so don't expect a nice round dot like the LPC-826 diode. The dot is bar shaped but not so bad as the Mitsubishi diodes.

I believe it is also a C-mount package.

As for the duty cycle, It depends on your host. Obviously the bigger the heatsink the longer the duty cycle. So I'd go for something big in size if duty cycle is an issue for you.