Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some High Voltage Fun

ped

Yup, real-world testing beats theory. Thanks for the vid Cyp.

I got a couple of those from spark fun to use on potato guns. I hooked it up to a li-ion with a momentary switch. I got tired of constantly clicking a grill igniter until the thing fired.

I got a couple of those from spark fun to use on potato guns. I hooked it up to a li-ion with a momentary switch. I got tired of constantly clicking a grill igniter until the thing fired.

Errr! I feel the same frustration. Grill lighter are not dependable and sometimes don't fire at all even with a suitable air/fuel mixture. I bought a cheap taser, disassembled it and was going to use that. It's a popular choice for PVC potato cannons. Back fire, I didn't make my spud gun out of PVC, it's was welded schd 40 pipe. My fear was if not perfectly insulated I would feel the lift (as I call it)
In my neck as I shoulder fired it.

I'm going to pick a couple of these up in the link. They look fun.

...double post but I don't really want to start a new thread yet.

I ordered 3. If I'm not mistaken I would like to try to parallel 3 with a mercury tilt switch to build a better mouse trap :).
I can attest at 1 centimeter I get a strong white output.
More HV fun to come!

...double post but I don't really want to start a new thread yet.

I ordered 3. If I'm not mistaken I would like to try to parallel 3 with a mercury tilt switch to build a better mouse trap :).
I can attest at 1 centimeter I get a strong white output.
More HV fun to come!

Haha awesome, that'll give those mice a nice jolt :p

BTW, why are you choosing a tilt switch?

Reactions: GSS
The tilt switch will be in series between the battery's positive lead and the inverter so there isnt a constant supply without a load.

The inverter will be "off" until it is tilted supplying power and our furry friend will complete the connection to the out put. The shop is having a mouse problem. And I would like a little side project : ]

You've sparked my curiosity (pun intended); how would they blow each other up? Also how could you tell if it's rectified?

It's because you have three (possibly non-identical) oscillators which are definitely not synchronized to having the same phase relationship. You can't put out-of-sync AC sources in parallel.

FWIW; DC is more lethal. (not that these will be lethal when rectified either)

Unless they're rectified to DC first, they'll blow each other up.
Hmm. I will admit I know very little about these high voltage generators. I ordered a couple when I saw this post. Only last night did I test them out with a 9v battery.
Can they be Phased like an NST?
i think those rodent will be roast.. and i bet your project will be electrifying.

Hahahaha im not sadistic but I bet even if they have a max output of 20kV @ <1mA it will probably be enough overload the critters nervous system and cause organ failure.
Like I said when it comes to lasing and tazing- outside the pests are safe. In the house they are open season..

Can they be Phased like an NST?

Unfortunately you'll find they probably aren't even on the same operating frequency (don't scope them, you'll blow up your scope). There's no way to add them up without converting to DC.

You can rectify them with a few series microwave oven diodes each, or grab some 2CL2FM diodes off of ebay.

ah talking of microwave.... why not just convert a microwave oven into a mouse trap? i've seen what their transformer a capable of.