Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

some 488, 495, 505nm pics 4/27/18

Here are a bunch of pics using mainly a 495nm, 505, and 488nm. I tried photographing them at first as a comparison and the accuracy in the colors is pretty accurate. I used the 488 with a fan diffraction grating and mesed around with that for some shots. I then went back to what I originally had set up to photograph. All of the glassware in the pics were set up before I got the 488 and the rainbow pics here are what I originally was going to photograph, the glassware you see with two or three four laser rainbows. I took a some shots, but wanted to do more with the 488, 495 and 505nm so I went back I tried some more using a few prisms and the hematite balls.
Enjoy

first two pics - 473, 488, 495, 505nm

DSC_4078_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4086_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

next few - all diffraction grating beams 488nm ;
beam going across pics 495nm

DSC_4095_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4098_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

495, 505, 495nm (horizontal beam)
DSC_4101_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4105_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4112_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

505nm vertical beam
DSC_4114_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

next three vertical beam 488nm
DSC_4116_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4117_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4118_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4122_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4123_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4124_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4127_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4131_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4132_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_4135_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

488nm
DSC_4142_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

495, 505, 488nm
DSC_4148_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

495, 488nm
DSC_4151_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

488, 495nm
DSC_4154_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

488, 495nm
DSC_4155_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

495, 505nm
DSC_4157_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

495, 488nm
DSC_4158_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

495, 488, & 505nm across
DSC_4160_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

Just magnificent pictures bruce!! :wave:
I liked DSC_4105 most!

:beer:

EDIT
+rep when I can

Last edited:

jnrpop

Absolutely incredible bruce :D
The quality and accuracy of your photographs is beyond amazing, the time it must take to capture just one of these photos.
Love the 488nm addition along with the 495, which looks alittle familiar! :beer:

Thanks AD, Curtis, jnrpop, Ritchie,Gazen, and Dr Laser.
I think getting accurate color renderings is due to a few reasons. Obviously a decent camera and knowing how to use it, but just as important is the power of all the lasers. Ones around 50mw - 100mw are ideal for what and how I photograph, and these Sanwu Pocket lasers are right in that range. Another thing that helps balance different colors is not all of the lasers are exposed for the same amount of time during the photograph. To get a good balance for the first two shots, the 473 is a Lasesbtb PL 30mw . I used this one instead of my Jetlasers 100mw 473 because that one would be a bit too bright and would influence the color of the next laser in line, the 495nm. That laser peaks at 145mw so that laser was on for maybe 3 seconds during an 6-10 second exposure of the 473, 488, & 505nm., other wise the "glow" would effect the 488. Also when you see in my photos when the overhead white lights are used, in a 10 second exposure, the white lights may be on for a second or two , while the the lasers are on for various times. When this is done right (a lot of practice) you get very balanced and accurate color renderings and the viewer of the photograph never knew what went into getting good results. Most people will think "you must have a great camera" to get shots like that, but as I explained above there is much more that goes into it. Another thing I had to figure out is on the 495nm is keeping it on. I bought this laser from jnrpop a few months ago and could not be happier with it, except the button has to be held down to work. A beautiful laser! If you look closely on the second pic, you will see my hand in a black glove holding down the button on the 495. With a black glove on, and from the proper angles, or with the laser out of frame you will not see my hand in any shot. Every 495nm pic I have taken has been done doing this.
There are many tricks I have learned in the six years I have doing this and learn new stuff almost everyday which helps me get the pics I get. I know that the type of photography, Lewdude, and Arcticdude (the Dude Brothers!) do, they must be real good at problem solving on the fly to get the fantastic results they do. I have never discussed it with AD, but I know he has to be really good at problem solving on the fly, with setting up lasers and mirrors in frigid conditions, and also dealing with numb fingertips operating the camera. And making it all work at the same time. Like me, I am sure AD and Lew have figured out a routine that enables them to get the shots they do that look so good and effortless, but I know the work that goes into getting those types of photos.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Bruce, you've outdone yourself this time, exceptional photographs as usual!
Love them all, but #4118, and #4124 stand out to me. :yh:
:kewlpics: +rep!

Last edited:
Hi Bruce:

Thanks for your absolutely stunning photos! I’m amazed at how you reinvent laser art with each and every series. I’ll send you a big +REP as soon as I’m able. Wow... just WOW!! :drool: Take Care.

-cd

Encap

Bruce, you've outdone yourself this time, exceptional photographs as usual!
Love them all, but #4118, and #4124 stand out to me. :yh:
:kewlpics: +rep!

Ditto. Beautiful job Brucemir---you've done it again.

Outstanding!
I gotta say - your humbleness is just about as awesome as these photos. Brilliant.

You put in some REAL work, especially when dealing with various "on times" to balance things out. I've attempted this only a few times, and it does make a difference. But when you are dealing with 3,4,5+ pointers, clicking them on/off, keeping run times (and temperatures) down, and apparently holding a momentary-on switch...DANG. That's WORK, and it VERY much shows in all your photos!! They NEVER disappoint.

Bravo, Bruce!

Also - you asked about Porcupine Tree. One solid advantage to living in the NY area - CONCERTS. We get some decent acts through Indy, but when it comes to international tours, I have to go to Chicago most of the time. I got very interested in 5.1 recordings a few years back, and some of the more 'popular' albums in the surround-sound 'circle' are PT albums. I bet that was a killer show !

Absolutely amazing as usual, Bruce. I'm out of rep at the moment, but I owe you one. :thanks:

Thanks AD, Curtis, jnrpop, Ritchie,Gazen, and Dr Laser.
I think getting accurate color renderings is due to a few reasons. Obviously a decent camera and knowing how to use it, but just as important is the power of all the lasers. Ones around 50mw - 100mw are ideal for what and how I photograph, and these Sanwu Pocket lasers are right in that range. Another thing that helps balance different colors is not all of the lasers are exposed for the same amount of time during the photograph. To get a good balance for the first two shots, the 473 is a Lasesbtb PL 30mw . I used this one instead of my Jetlasers 100mw 473 because that one would be a bit too bright and would influence the color of the next laser in line, the 495nm. That laser peaks at 145mw so that laser was on for maybe 3 seconds during an 6-10 second exposure of the 473, 488, & 505nm., other wise the "glow" would effect the 488. Also when you see in my photos when the overhead white lights are used, in a 10 second exposure, the white lights may be on for a second or two , while the the lasers are on for various times. When this is done right (a lot of practice) you get very balanced and accurate color renderings and the viewer of the photograph never knew what went into getting good results. Most people will think "you must have a great camera" to get shots like that, but as I explained above there is much more that goes into it. Another thing I had to figure out is on the 495nm is keeping it on. I bought this laser from jnrpop a few months ago and could not be happier with it, except the button has to be held down to work. A beautiful laser! If you look closely on the second pic, you will see my hand in a black glove holding down the button on the 495. With a black glove on, and from the proper angles, or with the laser out of frame you will not see my hand in any shot. Every 495nm pic I have taken has been done doing this.
There are many tricks I have learned in the six years I have doing this and learn new stuff almost everyday which helps me get the pics I get. I know that the type of photography, Lewdude, and Arcticdude (the Dude Brothers!) do, they must be real good at problem solving on the fly to get the fantastic results they do. I have never discussed it with AD, but I know he has to be really good at problem solving on the fly, with setting up lasers and mirrors in frigid conditions, and also dealing with numb fingertips operating the camera. And making it all work at the same time. Like me, I am sure AD and Lew have figured out a routine that enables them to get the shots they do that look so good and effortless, but I know the work that goes into getting those types of photos.

Oh yeah, I had a feeling it was much more than just “having a good camera” you’ve definitely got good Photography skills my friend :) also I know what you mean about a laser simply being too powerful for certain shots, that might be why when I try to photograph my 450nm and 462nm side by side it just doesn’t work :( my 462nm never shows up. I wish they made 100mw 462nm diodes, truthfully I’d rather have that than a 2 Watt 462. :D