Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(Solved) Repairing an old build (2012)

This is the build I have https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/sold-2w-445nm-laser-in-highly-polished-host-the-razor.72528/ , but the mounting hex screw for the module seems to be inaccessible and I can't take it out to fix whatever went wrong. Original seller (lazeerer) has long left the hobby from the looks of it. Laser was always stored with the batteries separate, and it was working flawlessly for the past 10 years, only broke recently (last used around March).

Current symptoms are that the laser does not activate when batteries are installed, despite the tailswitch being in working order (multimeter tested), and the batteries are functional (tested in another flashlight). Due to the difficulty of accessing the driver I haven't attempted any further troubleshooting.

Looking down the battery slot, it seems that something has melted in the driver. Excuse the vertical lines, it's because I had to use a PWM flashlight as the phone's flash LED wasn't aligned down the battery slot.

Last edited:

There should be a set screw somewhere. Check in between the fins. But you also have to consider if it is even worth it. If the driver failed chances are it took the diode down with it and even if it didn't do you have the capability to solder on a new driver?

If you can get the module out, measure the diameter and you can replace the whole thing with one of these 3W modules. Depending on the diameter its about $85 with a driver.

Alternatively you can just buy a whole new 2W laser for $190

There should be a set screw somewhere. Check in between the fins. But you also have to consider if it is even worth it. If the driver failed chances are it took the diode down with it and even if it didn't do you have the capability to solder on a new driver?

If you can get the module out, measure the diameter and you can replace the whole thing with one of these 3W modules. Depending on the diameter its about $85 with a driver.

Alternatively you can just buy a whole new 2W laser for $190
I have already located the set screw, and it's shown in the first two images in OP. Problem is that I'm not sure how to access it, as it's behind solid aluminum and I don't see a way to move the set screw outwards.

I'm comfortable with soldering and also have a build soldered from parts, I was just wondering whether I had overlooked anything in this host design.

I have already located the set screw, and it's shown in the first two images in OP. Problem is that I'm not sure how to access it, as it's behind solid aluminum and I don't see a way to move the set screw outwards.

I'm comfortable with soldering and also have a build soldered from parts, I was just wondering whether I had overlooked anything in this host design.
There should be another set screw somewhere. He got it in there so there must be a way to get it out.

That's the problem, I don't see a set screw other than the one I have photographed. The rest of the host is just metal all around. I'm pretty sure it was already this way when I bought it too.

Only idea that I have left is that there are 4 grooves around the front of the laser, next to the set screw. Perhaps they can be used to screw the driver assembly out from the front? I don't think I have the tooling available to do that, though.

That's the problem, I don't see a set screw other than the one I have photographed. The rest of the host is just metal all around. I'm pretty sure it was already this way when I bought it too.

Only idea that I have left is that there are 4 grooves around the front of the laser, next to the set screw. Perhaps they can be used to screw the driver assembly out from the front? I don't think I have the tooling available to do that, though.

You could try it. Hopefully he didn't use a thermal adhesive or something. You could also try a pair of vice grips. Just put leather or something on it so you don't damage it.

Ji,
Looking at it from your top view in the picture, there are detents four of them. It might be screwed with threads, if so you would need a pair of internal ring pliers or a spanner of som sort to unscrew it. Then you might see a set screw.

Eidetical

Looks to me like a retaining ring with four notches. Can't be very tight. I'd try a couple small of very small allen wrenches clamped in a vise to work as a tool to remove the ring.