Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[Soldering Iron & Hands Unboxing] 08-13-15

Looks like you are all set.

Since it's a Weller brand soldering iron, it's bound to be great quality, but you should observe some proper practices to preserve both the iron and it's tip in good shape and prevent the latter from corroding.

Namely, never leave the tip without a coat of solder on it, regardless if the iron is plugged in or not - always load it with bit of solder to prevent tip itself being exposed to air. While at 300°C, it corrodes very fast.

Do not poke any plastics or similar with soldering iron, as fun as it may be, it ruins the tip very fast - some plastics become corrosive when melted in high temp.

Use the damp pads or the brass sponges to clean off excess solder while working.

'Tis all really, have fun :)

Looks like you are all set.

Since it's a Weller brand soldering iron, it's bound to be great quality, but you should observe some proper practices to preserve both the iron and it's tip in good shape and prevent the latter from corroding.

Namely, never leave the tip without a coat of solder on it, regardless if the iron is plugged in or not - always load it with bit of solder to prevent tip itself being exposed to air. While at 300°C, it corrodes very fast.

Do not poke any plastics or similar with soldering iron, as fun as it may be, it ruins the tip very fast - some plastics become corrosive when melted in high temp.

Use the damp pads or the brass sponges to clean off excess solder while working.

'Tis all really, have fun :)

Thanks a lot. I was thinking to remove any solder on tips after use... Lol

A review is a critical evaluation of the product and the manufacturer's claims.

"Watch me open this box" doesn't even qualify as feedback.

At least he didn't post it in Rules & Stickies. :crackup: I've never been able to understand how so many noobs post things there, :wtf: it must be a language issue. Also Laserbeamk, learn to use the Multiquote button, you can reply to multiple posts quoting them in a single post.

Alan

APEX1

Hey bud, message a mod to have this moved to the off topic section or even the multimedia section.. Just so you don't get anymore negative feedback. Glad I could help out. Practice soldering with some 24g-26g silicone wire as that's whats used in these builds and it can be a little tricky sometimes because of how flexible they are lol

Last edited:
A review is a critical evaluation of the product and the manufacturer's claims.

"Watch me open this box" doesn't even qualify as feedback.
Pm Sent to nearest mod!

At least he didn't post it in Rules & Stickies. :crackup: I've never been able to understand how so many noobs post things there, :wtf: it must be a language issue. Also Laserbeamk, learn to use the Multiquote button, you can reply to multiple posts quoting them in a single post.

Alan
Lol it worked, thax.

Hey bud, message a mod to have this moved to the off topic section or even the multimedia section.. Just so you don't get anymore negative feedback. Glad I could help out. Practice soldering with some 24g-26g silicone wire as that's whats used in these builds and it can be a little tricky sometimes because of how flexible they are lol

I tried on some little broken wires I had and worked great.. Thanks and do I really need to get a "esd" wrist band to not "kill" the diode?

One of my old teachers taught me that if you don't put solder on and get a black layer, you will get a insulating effect with decreases quality and eventually failure. So he always gave everyone brass wool to clean the gunk off the tips. You should NOT go all out on the tip, or you are removing the vital stuff on the tip. The brass wool IS ONLY USED TO CLEAN A TIP WITH LOTS OF IMPURITIES. Use a wet sponge and lightly clean the tip, id you dip the tip directly into the wet sponge; it will make the tip get thermal shock and make the tip USELESS. always re-tin the tip to prevent oxidation.

At the end of a soldering session, wipe the tip clean with a sponge, cover the tip with solder (60/40 works very well), wipe it again and then unplug the iron. This will clean and re-tin your tip, protecting it from oxidation and corrosion. The oxidation makes the solder stick to the tip and eventually causs burn-out (Makes your tip absolutely useless so you should always clean the tip and re-tin.

Also, ESD band is needed to prevent ESD which will mess up your diode but you can always create your own one. All you need to do is get a metal ring which goes around your wrist. Then attach wire to the 'band' and connect the wire to grounded metal (like a cold pipe, etc). This takes static away from your body which prevents ESD.

Last edited:
One of my old teachers taught me that if you don't put solder on and get a black layer, you will get a insulating effect with decreases quality and eventually failure. So he always gave everyone brass wool to clean the gunk off the tips. You should NOT go all out on the tip, or you are removing the vital stuff on the tip. The brass wool IS ONLY USED TO CLEAN A TIP WITH LOTS OF IMPURITIES. Use a wet sponge and lightly clean the tip, id you dip the tip directly into the wet sponge; it will make the tip get thermal shock and make the tip USELESS. always re-tin the tip to prevent oxidation.

At the end of a soldering session, wipe the tip clean with a sponge, cover the tip with solder (60/40 works very well), wipe it again and then unplug the iron. This will clean and re-tin your tip, protecting it from oxidation and corrosion. The oxidation makes the solder stick to the tip and eventually causs burn-out (Makes your tip absolutely useless so you should always clean the tip and re-tin.

Also, ESD band is needed to prevent ESD which will mess up your diode but you can always create your own one. All you need to do is get a metal ring which goes around your wrist. Then attach wire to the 'band' and connect the wire to grounded metal (like a cold pipe, etc). This takes static away from your body which prevents ESD.

Thanks bro. I will sure to follow your steps:thanks: