Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Soldering iron and LD kills

I have both 25 Watt and 60 watt irons. Both are temperature controled.
Sometimes, A HOT iron can solder so quickly that there is little heat transfer to sensative components. This is part of the "art" of soldering.
It's the same with welding, you have to analyze the parts to be welded and adjust the welding power to suit the heat sinking ability of the parts.

Also, ESD at this time of year can be a problem. Most new soldering irons have grounded tips and considered ESD "safe". Your body, however, can take on a goodly charge. Depending on the floor covering, going barefoot can reduce static. Antistatic sprays on carpet also help dissipate the charges. Drinking some amounts of conductive fluids is a plus:beer:

HMike

Great tips on ESD too^^ thanks guys!

I was thinking in buying a wrist strap but then i thought...bah...but maybe ill do it...its not that expensive...its almost the same as the grounded rod, and i just have to wear it

I have both 25 Watt and 60 watt irons. Both are temperature controled.
Sometimes, A HOT iron can solder so quickly that there is little heat transfer to sensative components. This is part of the "art" of soldering.
It's the same with welding, you have to analyze the parts to be welded and adjust the welding power to suit the heat sinking ability of the parts.

Also, ESD at this time of year can be a problem. Most new soldering irons have grounded tips and considered ESD "safe". Your body, however, can take on a goodly charge. Depending on the floor covering, going barefoot can reduce static. Antistatic sprays on carpet also help dissipate the charges. Drinking some amounts of conductive fluids is a plus:beer:

HMike

I like to do my soldering mostly naked. ;)

Seriously, though... Static is a problem withe several jackets I have and also my running shorts that I normally wear around the house.

I prefer to solder pretty "hot." But too much heat will burn up the flux and the solder won't flow too well.