Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sold! Ophir 20C LPM with J.Bauer chipset and datalogging.

Re: Ophir 20C LPM with J.Bauer chipset and datalogging.

I was getting some help from Jerry on these, just got a connector with wires from him in the mail yesterday and a wiring diagram from a post he made at PL :)

I understand, 7 watts is the top end without heat sinking (10 watts max for short duration). And.... if your power supply voltage is high enough and enough heat sinking, up to 20 watts for short duration. Is that what you know about them Paul? Not sure if I have it strait.

Encap

I don't know if they make this model, maybe not, I wouldn't want to pay for what they show on their web site now though:

Low-medium power thermal sensors 30mW to 150W | Laser Thermal Power Sensors - Ophir

I don't see prices, but I can guess. I did buy one of these sensors cheap here last year, a lot cheaper than 250, but it didn't come with anything more than the head.

Jerry's advice sounds 100%

Email Ophir and ask for the data sheet on your particular model or search it on their site

Ophir still shows this 20C-SH @ $ $1,117 ea. buy-it-online price See: 20C-SH | OEM thermal and photodiode sensors | OEM Power Sensors - Ophir

And they offer a few other permutations as well including a USB connection model---they all say " 12mm aperture and measures from 10mW to 4W stand alone and up to 20W when heat sinked."

Last edited:

I am surprised they are still available from Ophir. Is it new stock, or old new stock? What I mean is are they manufacturing these heads still, or are a totally new version like the new part number would indicate? Sounds like the old heads are no longer available, but you can buy the 20C-SH, which is another up to 20 watt sensor head that Ophir is selling in place of the old heads.

Received an email from Ophir today:

Hello Chris –

The price is as follows:

1706111 20C-A-1-Y SENSOR

$709.00

Best,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sr. Sales Territory Manager

Aha. You can get new, old stock still. And that price for a new out of the box head ain't bad. I would buy it before I bought this.

Encap

That is a pretty good low price if for 1 piece new from Ophir.
There is a used one on eBay at the moment for $799 + $56 shipping

The 20C-A has the same specs ias 20C -SH is just that it has analog amplifier is included built in

See: http://www.ophiropt.com/laser/pdf/20C-SH_20C-A_20C-UAU.pdf

Would guess Ophir will make up whatever anyone wants and that 1706111 20C-A-1-Y is still current and available

I don't see any of the 20 series on the discontinued product list here: http://www.ophiropt.com/laser--measurement/replaced-pn?r=drp

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

That is a pretty good price, being that it's direct from the manufacturer, whether it's new stock, or new "old" stock.
It's definitely not cheap, but compared to what those idiots on ebay are asking for used, it's not too bad. A couple of those listings on ebay have been there forever, can't imagine why.

Yeah... that was the same price they gave me
2-3 years ago when I asked about availability.

Aha. You can get new, old stock still. And that price for a new out of the box head ain't bad. I would buy it before I bought this.

Unfortunately Paul that is not quite correct.
A few years back when the 20C heads were
available on eBay I communicated with the
original seller and was told by him that he had
bought a load of the heads as surplus in an
auction and was selling them for ~$50 each.

That's when I bought a bunch from him.
Kenom at the same time suckered a member
here to front him $5000 to but as many as
he could. That member shipped some of that
order to Kenom. Kenom never paid that member
for the 20C heads he sold in his LPMs. Basically
ripping him off.

Other eBay seller bought heads from that same
original seller and depleted his stock and started
to increase the price of the heads until gradually
they reached the $250 mark until they ran out.

The eBay heads are OLD NEW STOCK.
Meaning they were never used but built a while
ago. We didn't know in what condition these
surplus heads were stored in. I had received some
heads with the face plate screws rusted.

The 20C Heads that OPHIR is selling for $709
are Brand New and recently calibrated (maybe
a Model that was designed a while ago) but still
Brand New.

The only place that sold New Old Stock was eBay
not OPHIR....:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:

Thanks for the history lesson and the correction, Jerry. I remembered seeing the $250.00 price, but was unaware of the $50.00 price. Also, knew about Kenom getting a bunch of these heads, but didn't know he had to screw another member to do so.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Great info. Jerry, thanks. I was aware of some of that history, but not all. Unfortunately, I missed out on those nice $50 prices.

I wonder if Kenom ever made good on those?

Thanks for the history lesson and the correction, Jerry. I remembered seeing the $250.00 price, but was unaware of the $50.00 price. Also, knew about Kenom getting a bunch of these heads, but didn't know he had to screw another member to do so.

N/P Paul...;)

Great info. Jerry, thanks. I was aware of some of that history, but not all. Unfortunately, I missed out on those nice $50 prices.

I wonder if Kenom ever made good on those?
No he didn't.
After speaking with the ripped off LPF member I found
that he was stuck with a bunch of those heads and
bought a few from him at the $200-$250 mark (at that
time they were selling on eBay for $250) to help him get
some of his money back.

Jerry

I bet offroadfreak8582 would pay this much for it if looking for one, err.... he paid more. Just find the right guy. This forum is mostly full of hobbyists (duh!) who won't pay that much though, worse than a bunch of ham radio operators at a flea market; highly interested if we can get stuff for far less than it originally cost, no matter in new condition, but that goes for most people, I know.... Why is it we are willing to pay so much for new, but as soon as something is "used", no matter if for just 1 hour or one mile, now it's value is usually significantly lower. Just a cultural reality, I suppose, logic doesn't apply if the condition is as good as new.

Although, that rule doesn't apply for everything, once old enough, and few remain, such as some cars, if in good condition $$$ bank!

I bought 2 heads of ebay a few years back. And if i remember correctly i paid about 300$ a pop after import taxes etc. 1 for me and 1 for Blord (where is he?). the heads were packed in original ophir foam so i could tell, even if it was old stock, that they were kept nicely.

About the pricing. I am not in a rush to sell this. I still really like it but i just don't use it anymore. If anyone thinks the price is too high they can make me an offer through PM. Then we will see if we can work something out. Current pricing is just a guess i based on scarcity, ebay listings and availability. It suprises me ophir still has these new.

Depriciation is not really comparable to for example a car. Which depreciates greatly even when standing still (there are exceptions). I think with the ammount of use this has had and the fact that i treated it like a baby (it even has rubber pads underneath and a wooden dowel in the threads to pick it up without throwing off readings. This ophir should be looked at as brand new with some test readings lol :crackup:

I was getting some help from Jerry on these, just got a connector with wires from him in the mail yesterday and a wiring diagram from a post he made at PL :)

I understand, 7 watts is the top end without heat sinking (10 watts max for short duration). And.... if your power supply voltage is high enough and enough heat sinking, up to 20 watts for short duration. Is that what you know about them Paul? Not sure if I have it strait.

This is correct. Mrcrouse used to make heatsinks for these that you can simply screw on. I never bought one because i never used it's full potential. Good to see jerry could help you. :)

Those 50$ prices were a long long time ago. I can't remember exactly but i think it even happened before i joined the forum. That price was never really relevant in my time here.

greetings!:beer:

Last edited:
Re: Now $500! Ophir 20C LPM with J.Bauer chipset and datalogging.

Another price drop. Now 500$! :beer:

Re: Pricedrop $450! Ophir 20C LPM with J.Bauer chipset and datalogging.

Bump. Price wont get any lower. This meter is worth it. :beer: