Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sold! Ophir 20C LPM with J.Bauer chipset and datalogging.

Re: Ophir 20C LPM with J.Bauer chipset and datalogging.

I can set up a PayPal autopay at 100 USD a month if you send it to me first :) (edit: No way I'd do that myself, but.....)

Last edited:

Are you purchasing this for $600.00, Chris? The Ophir head is the only part I'd be interested in and they sold for $250.00 new several years ago.

No, there is no way he would work that deal with anyone.

Last edited:

Encap

Last edited:

I meant here, on ebay he very well may sell it for 600+, in time.

----EDIT----

If it could read 100 watts I would make an offer, but 3 watts has not been enough for a long time. It is a nice quality build.

Last edited:

I already have one, but not so new or with that nice readout.

I have seen LPMs stagnate on eBay for months before being pulled, unsold. Just because this LPM is on there for $785.00 doesn't mean someone will be willing to pay that for it. Only time will tell, but it is rare to see a unit like this sell for that much money used.

Last edited:

I bet offroadfreak8582 would pay this much for it if looking for one, err.... he paid more. Just find the right guy. This forum is mostly full of hobbyists (duh!) who won't pay that much though, worse than a bunch of ham radio operators at a flea market; highly interested if we can get stuff for far less than it originally cost, no matter in new condition, but that goes for most people, I know.... Why is it we are willing to pay so much for new, but as soon as something is "used", no matter if for just 1 hour or one mile, now it's value is usually significantly lower. Just a cultural reality, I suppose, logic doesn't apply if the condition is as good as new.

Although, that rule doesn't apply for everything, once old enough, and few remain, such as some cars, if in good condition $$$ bank!

I know when it comes to laser diodes I want them new as we overdrive them and the best hours are the first, also you never know how hard something has been run, it seems like a high mileage diode can start out cold and perform pretty well then fade fast as it warms up, it's sort of like buying a used bottle of whisky or a used condom, it's just not worth much in some cases.

Last edited:

Oh yea, those are consumables, agreed.

Anything that needs replacing is a consumable. As soon as you drive off the lot, your new car is worth as much as 1/4th less than what you paid for it. LPMs, especially the ones used in industry, are definitely consumables.

Depends on how used, if abused or not, with cars you don't know what abuse they took. I suppose true for laser power meters, but I'd expect to see visible evidence with those. I guess if you dropped it, some of the diodes in the TEC could crack and you would never know, so there's a valid reason to pay less but using a laser with a known output, that kind of problem could be discovered quickly.

edit: Don't forget the price on this offer is farrrrrr less than new.

Last edited:

These were selling as new surplus just a few years ago for $250.00, so I don't know what you mean about a brand new one. Does Ophir even make this head now? If they do, what are they asking for them now?

I don't know if they make this model, maybe not, I wouldn't want to pay for what they show on their web site now though:

Low-medium power thermal sensors 30mW to 150W | Laser Thermal Power Sensors - Ophir

I don't see prices, but I can guess. I did buy one of these sensors cheap here last year, a lot cheaper than 250, but it didn't come with anything more than the head.

The head is the only part that is worth anything. And these never reached anything like 150 watts. 20 watts max. I don't think they have been made for awhile, so it is all moot at this point.