Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Software for LOW end galvos + soundcard?

Scanner noob question here:

I've got some low-speed galvos, which I'd like to use to draw some low point-count, low-speed patterns or text. I can hook them to my soundcard and display music in X/Y.

Does anybody know of some cheap or free software to draw simple shapes or output ILDA via a soundcard? Modifying a soundcard for DC output if necessary is okay.
I looked at LFI Player on SourceForge but it only outputs to expensive I/O devices.

Things

for ILDA, you need a special driver, and galvo's atleast 20K. do you know what speed your galvo's are? as of now, i still haven't found any software for this application.

These galvos are out of an old laserdisc player, and I'm sure they won't do more than a few hundred pps, and are of course, open loop.
I know I need a DAC, but that's what a sound card does. I've seen mention of a program called Heathcliff that will supposedly output to a sound card, but I can't find it anywhere.
If worst comes to worst I'll write something myself, but I hated to reinvent the wheel.

If they are the eBay galvos I think you're thinking of, I wouldn't suggest pushing them past 10-20pps (no, I didn't forget a k). I was just running them from an amplified stereo line for that.