Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

So are 1mW 405nm overpowered? Lets find out!

I think that video is from a while ago. I woudn't be surprised if he had been here for a bit at one point. He seems like the kinda kid that shows these off to friends, worships Kipkay, etc. But that's all just speculation...

Its funny.

People complain about underpowered lasers.

People complain about overpowered lasers.

The fact is you get what you pay for. The majority of retail pointers are cheaply made. It should not surprise anyone these laser are off spec. If you want true power, then you have to pay the prices of CNI, ect. Or have one custom built for you.

If you honestly expect a $5 laser to be at the power it is advertized, then you need to do more research.

There's a good reason why these are overspec, and that's because they're all binned from a common set of pens. All that differentiates them is a sticker (and maybe 30-50mWs of difference).

There's a good reason why these are overspec, and that's because they're all binned from a common set of pens. All that differentiates them is a sticker (and maybe 30-50mWs of difference).

Um....you do realize I've been into the hobby for 3 years now? :whistle:

I get your point, but I was talking with Seoul_lasers, not the OP.

I've explained the binned situation so many times I dont even want to bring it up unless someone directly asks.

You seem to know a lot for a new member. Where are from? Or are you an old member returning?

I get your point, but I was talking with Seoul_lasers, not the OP.

I've explained the binned situation so many times I dont even want to bring it up unless someone directly asks.

You seem to know a lot for a new member. Where are from? Or are you an old member returning?

I've been in the loop for a long time. Expect a formal intro soon. :)

Well, damn.. I got a (the more expensive one) 5mW laser from DX and it was pretty awesome, Hit myself in the eye with it a couple times(was 12 and thought 5mW was harmless to play with it on a mirror). I never knew these things were so powerful! I got my 5mW green to burn something a tiny bit when focused but not the blu-ray :\. Please send me a link to this because I'd love to screw around with a cheap high power 405nm that says it is 1mW :p. Also I am 14 now. I use Eagle Pair goggles with OD4+ for 190-540nm for my protection, If anybody here decides to buy one of these, Get the proper protection!

You know, this thread was more than 5-months-old when you replied. It's fallen out of peoples' memories, and really isn't worth a reply to resurrect it.