Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SMD Components

maxh

Electronic component distributors. SMD = surface mount = a general package/mounting style for electronic components.

Last edited:

Evroni

but I want to order from the internet...
and...
SMD Components are more expensive than regular components?

Last edited:

maxh

Digikey, Arrow, Allied, Mouser, Heilind are all electronics suppliers you can find online and I'm sure there are many more. SMD packages can be cheaper or more expensive than their through-hole counterparts, but the difference typically isn't much. Also, components can come in multiple different SMD packages, giving you more choice.

Evroni

and if I will use SMD Components instead the Components in the schematic
its will work?
11702diyhomemadelaserdiu.jpg

Last edited:
yes, just make sure they're rated accordingly, you don't want to blow a component.

Not to impose on your dreams, but have you ever worked with SMD components? You need to have PCBs that are designed for them, and good soldering skills as well. Some SMD components require a reflow oven to use as well.

If you do order SMD components from the sites listed above, check where the price breaks are. Sometimes you can land yourself 100 for the price of 20 because the per-component price goes down dramatically with quantity. I would also look up some PCB layout tools so you have an idea about what size these components are. Symbolically, the components look right, but sometimes you'll encounter physical components that have a size on the order of the period symbol on your keyboard. Not fun!

HIMNL9

Also (depend from where you are) R S Components sell most of them .....

And about the working part with them, if you're not used, i suggest you to make some training with old broken PCB, taking away the components (with hot blower) and then re-soldering them in place, so you can "get used" to work with them, without have to spend money (almost)