Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SMALLEST cylindrical li-ions?

I found this little LED flashlight that seems great for a laser-an aixiz lens element fits right in the front, a diode looks like it would fit perfectly, basically it seems perfect for a keychain laser. The problem is, it takes AG3 batteries which means that battery choice is limited. I need a battery thinner than 7.9mm and shorter than 15mm. It should be li-ion so I can direct drive a PHR. Does such a battery exist?

rockz

Sorry, no. The smallest cylindrical li-ion I know of is the 10180 cell, it is 10mm by 18mm.

Yep... that's certainly a problem... :( looks like I would have to go for a square LiPo cell, and then I would have to get another charger and stuff. I wish our battery tech didn't suck so much :cryyy:

Will get some of the 10180 cells and use the technicians reduction tool aka hammer to fit one in the host.

HIMNL9

Times ago i was searching for small Li-Ion batteries, and found a chinese producer that had 1/2AA and 1/2AAA sizes (same diameter of AA and AAA with half of the lenght), but they had 1000 pieces minimum quantity orders :p .....

So, these batteries perhaps exists, but, where to find them for private use, it's another thing ..... (maybe in the US is possible to find also them on the various "radioshack" or "wallmart" stores ? ..... here in Italy is difficult to find also just 18650 ones, and when i find them, they ask me 17 Euro each one ..... like, 21$ :p)

EDIT: i've just found that powerstream have 10220 in list (10mm dia x 22mm lenght, or 1/2AAAA, if you prefer) in the Li-Ion catalog, and have 100 pieces min order at "almost decent" prices ..... and perhaps they also accept less than 100 pieces as "sample orders", but with very high prices, like, 4 times the regular orders (probably for discourage privates :p)

Last edited:
Times ago i was searching for small Li-Ion batteries, and found a chinese producer that had 1/2AA and 1/2AAA sizes (same diameter of AA and AAA with half of the lenght), but they had 1000 pieces minimum quantity orders :p .....

AW makes 1/2AAA too, but it still won't be enough. A AAA is 10440, which means a 1/2AAA would be 10220, with 10mm diameter and 22mm long. Still too much.

List of battery sizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look through the list here you will find several silver/alcaline button cells with 7,9mm diameter. But no rechargeable.
There are different heights, you should be able to find a type/number that will match your need. Except for the power out need. :D
I know that there are button cells that can do this... I need li-ion to get a good current. I don't think they exist.

Toke

I know that there are button cells that can do this... I need li-ion to get a good current. I don't think they exist.
A bit of a shame, I have a similar problem with an USB memory stick with only a 1mW laser in.

A bit of a shame, I have a similar problem with an USB memory stick with only a 1mW laser in.
Try a protected lipo from sparkfun. They're plenty small for either of our projects, I think they can give 60mA sustained, but I don't want to use them.... Maybe you would.

Toke

Try a protected lipo from sparkfun. They're plenty small for either of our projects, I think they can give 60mA sustained, but I don't want to use them.... Maybe you would.

Nice idea, it might work for me. :)

I have a couple 10 & 30ma lipos for my smallest IR rc planes. When the plane rx, motor and battery weigh 2.35gms....it's small. lol
A penny weighs 2.5gms!