Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Skytech dual power 450nm pen review

I have always found this pen interesting, but I lost interest in it after I got my first 1 watt blue laser. A little while ago, I looked on Skytech and found that there laser pointers were on clearance. I had found that I was a little scared of the power of my class 450nm lasers, and I wanted something that was a little safer. I quickly snatched up a blue one. . After waiting a little over a week, I received my laser.

The host of the laser is made of brass, and has a very high quality feel. The laser has an led indicator on the side. It also comes with a foam passed storage case. The laser has a plastic momentary side button that also glows when the laser is active. The laser uses 2 aaa batteries, and sadly the battery life is not the best.

This laser differs from many lasers because it has a multimode driver. Even though the button is momentary, the modes of the laser are constant on. A quick tap of the button puts the laser into low power. Based on a power test performed by skytech, this mode is around 14mW. Another tap turns the laser of. To use the laser in high power, you click and hold the power. Based on the power test Skytech performed, this mode is around 100mw. From this mode you can either click and hold the button to turn the laser off, or click the button to enter flash mode. In flash mode the laser slowly flashes in low power. A quick tap of the button from this mode turns the laser off.

The laser Is fairly bright. The beam is visible in both modes, and both modes can light up a room. On low this laser is a tad brighter than a overspec 405nm pen. On high it is far brighter than my 200mw red. On low the beam is about as bright as a true 5mw 532nm. It can hit far way objects, but pointing at stars is tricky as the beam appears large. On high power the beam has enough power to easily point out stars, and hit far away trees. This lasers divergence is much lower than your standard 1w 445, and this leads me to belive it may be using the PL450B diode. This laser was not designed for burning.

In conclusion the unit is very unusual, and is made very well. It has plenty of brightness while being safer than a highe rpower 445. The 3 modes are very interesting, and great to have. But with the standard price of $109, and poor battery life I would be reluctant to buy this laser at full price. I got it on clearance of half price.

The fist picture shows the host and case.

The next pictures show the laser on low, then high inside.

Picture 3 shows the laser illuminating a room

picture 4 shows th elaser on low outside hitting a tree about 300 feet away.

Picture 5 shows the laser in the same setting on high.

Hope you enjoyed this review :D

Attachments

• image1-1.JPG
    image1-1.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 121
  • image2-1.JPG
    image2-1.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 114
  • image1-2.JPG
    image1-2.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image2-2.JPG
    image2-2.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Nice quality laser :)
I also enjoy this laser becuas eit allows me to appreciate the 450nm wavelength without extremely high power levels. This laser is one of my favorite in my collection.However, ant the normal price of $109, I don't think it is worth it. I got this laser half off.
I agree, I love my high powered blues, but you don't get to appreciate the colour due to their intense brightness. Also what with 465's ,473's etc, the common blue is to most people's opinions, not as beautiful. The intensity may be the reason why.

Last edited: