Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Skylasers vs rayfoss

MrDave

I recently wrote a letter to skylasers in reguards to the $300 dollar difference in price between the Rayfoss RF532-200mW-FMK(IR Filter) and Skylasers 200mW Green Portable Laser with HeatGuard. I didn't mention Rayfoss by name, but I did say that "dealers in Asia" were selling the same laser for 299 vs their 599 price.

What follows is quite interesting:

"Thank you for contacting SKYlasers!

Yes, we do get this question a lot. Here is why the lasers on skylasers.com are more expensive:

Our factory and company has an inside sales and outside sales department. The inside sales team is responsible for sales within Asia (where our factory is located). The outside sales team (us) focuses its efforts on offering high quality lasers to countries outside Asia (USA, EUROPE, ETC...).

Our quality standards for these two departments are very different.
As with most factories, when a product is manufactured, it is tested and then divided into two categories. The average and lower quality products are reserved for sales in Asia. All higher quality products are channeled to us, the outside sales team.

With that being said, I must be honest in saying that the components in producing the portable laser are exactly the same. You will, however, find skylasers.com units to be more stable in power and flawless in appearance. Green lasers are made using several crystals that convert a 808nm diode into green laser light. The interesting properties about these crystals is you can only know the quality after the laser is built. Lower quality crystals will result in a less stable laser.

To shorten the explanation, our lasers are higher in quality and come with excellent after sales service. If you have any specific questions about our portable lasers, please don't hesitate to contact us at anytime!

Sincerely,

Customer Service Team
SKYlasers"

So you can take this how you wish. But the heat guard may already be integrated in the rayfoss laser, then maybe it isn't. What I took from the response is that they are manufactured in the same facility, tested in the same facility and ultimately could even behave similar in all aspects. They come with the same warranty, even.

I took my chances on Rayfoss and am happy with my choice. My 200 MW Laser was shining the 4th of July celebrations in my neighborhood. It works very well for me.

If anyone wants to buy a Skylasers version and send it to me for a side by side comparison, I would gladdly write a comparison review... oh, btw, send me a power meter too while you are at it.
As far as I'm concerned, the difference in price was enough encentive for me to choose the Rayfoss Laser.

Grix

Skylasers are very overpriced. You made the right choice in going with Rayfoss.

Wicked Lasers, optotronics, CNI, Viasho..
All of those are also both cheaper and higher quality than skylasers.

Wicked Lasers, optotronics, CNI, Viasho..
All of those are also both cheaper and higher quality than skylasers.

Offtopic, but boy I bet there's something you never thought you'd say. Skylasers are nice, but agreed, rather expensive compared to what we can get from other companies with a bit of patience.

They make me laugh !!!!! My Sky 200 is a "winter" laser and is kinda sick in warm summer temperatures here in Iowa. I asked for an exchange to a "summer" laser but never got a reply from Betty.

HMike

They make me laugh !!!!! My Sky 200 is a "winter" laser and is kinda sick in warm summer temperatures here in Iowa. I asked for an exchange to a "summer" laser but never got a reply from Betty.

HMike

Mike, your "winter" laser shoudl go to Canada.:crackup:

I was rly speechless about the emailed explanation.

Why dont skylaser discard the lower quality or work over/improve on them to make them more qualified? Why do they just reserve them for Asia customers? Do Asian laser buyers NOT deserve a better laser? :worthy:I'm not being sensitive but really amused by this principle.

I hope all self-appointed laser manufacturers could at least do their utmost to guarantee every laser they ship out, to either the reseller or end customer, is reflecting their best efforts, rather than the "i dont care'-style abandonment. I hate it.

This is my quick response to the related posts. :)