Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

skin cancer?

so how bout this crazy idea. I'm not sure on the Blu-ray PHR-803T being UVA or UVB but what about too much exposer from it causeing skin cancer since it is so intense?

No at 405nm it's not UV. Ionizing UV is a much shorter wavelength. UVB and UVC is what you need to be worried about for skin cancer.

daguin

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
At 405nm, you would probably die of old age before skin cancer.

From your lips to god's ear

Peace,
dave

rkcstr

Direct from my neoplasia (cancer) lecture, in med school:

Radiation Carcinogenesis:
Ultraviolet Rays
Increased incidence of squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma and possibly malignant melanoma of the skin.
Risk depends on type, intensity and quantity of melanin in the skin (inc. fair skin & lots of sun  i.e. Australia, New Zealand)
[highlight]UVB (280-320 nm) most potent mutagen[/highlight], by forming pyrimidine dimers
Repaired by nucleotide excision repair (NER) pathway;
Xeroderma pigmentosum - autosomal recessive - inability to repair UV induced DNA damage - 2000X increased risk in sun-exposed skin.

Basically UVB is the biggest concern, which is quite a ways off from 405nm, so no need to worry... that is unless you have xeroderma pigmentosum, then you're screwed (but, I'm pretty sure you'd know that by now ;))